Author Topic: Margaret Jones, Ruthin  (Read 2768 times)

Offline snub nose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Jones, Ruthin
« on: Sunday 31 December 06 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the family of Margaret Jones, b Ruthin in 1828.  I have no information about her other than she married Ellis Hughes in 1854 at Chester St Mary. 

I have sent off for the marriage certificate, but would be grateful if anyone could look up the 1841 Census in Ruthin for her. 

Many thanks
Gwyneth

Leighton, Kelsall, Garner, Robinson in Lancs & Ches
Owens, Hughes in Harwarden, Bistree, Mold, Argoed in Flintshire
Jones, Edwards in Denbighshire
Taylor, Northants

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Jones, Ruthin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 06 01:42 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple, (ages often rounded down to nearest 5 in 1841 census):

HO107/1404/23 fol.11 p.13  Clwyd St, Ruthin in household of John Madocks, bank manager
Margaret Jones  15  F.S

same ref fol.12 p.16  Clwyd St, Ruthin
John Jones  50  Carrier
Margaret 55, Stephen 20 Labourer, Margaret 15
all born in county

You'll know if this is right of course when you get the marriage cert, as so many Jones, a father's name would definitely help if she has moved out of Ruthin
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline snub nose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  That's a starter which will be helpful once the certificate arrives.  Much appreciated.

Gwyneth Leighton :)
Taylor, Northants

Offline snub nose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 07 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage certificate for Margaret Jones and Ellis Hughes, Dec 30, 1854 at St Mary's Chester.  It doesn't give a full address for them, just Upton.  Margaret's father is Hugh Jones. 

I have found a Hugh Jones, wife Alice on the LDS site.  They had 8 children:  John 1821, Robert 1822, Mary 1825, Alice 1826, Margaret 1828, Hugh 1831, Jane 1833 and Elizabeth 1835.  All born Gyfylliog except Jane & Elizabeth b at Llanhaidr.

I found the family on the 1841 & 1851 Census at Llanhaidr - all present and correct.  By the 1861 Census - Margaret and Alice are missing - presumably married or dead.  Which would tie in with Margaret's marriage date to Ellis Hughes.

My quandry is - how can I find out if this family is mine and Margaret's.  Later census say she was born at Llanferras not Llanhaidr.  Not knowing the area - are they near each other?

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can verify I have the right family please? I could be searching up the wrong tree! Does anyone else have a connection to these Jones's?

Help please.  Thanks
Gwyneth
Taylor, Northants

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 07 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gwyneth

First of all the area. The towns/villages are at most 6 miles from Ruthin BUT Llanrhaiadr and Llanferres (note spellings) are about 11 miles apart.   Gyffylliog (now known as Cyffylliog) to Llanrhaiadr is nearly 5 miles but I would guess shorter by track rather than road. Llanferres is on the Chester side of Ruthin. All obviously possible but giving Llanrhaiadr as place of birth and then Llanferres seems surprising. Can you find the exact part in the Llanrhaiadr area as it is very rural and may spread in the right direction.

What is Hugh's occupation? Does that tie in with the 1841 and 1851?

Are any of the witnesses siblings?

Did Margaret or any of the witnesses sign. If so it might be possible to find another family wedding of the signatory to compare.

Not easy but you have reasonable evidence and it is certainly worth pursuing.

My Jones's are just as difficult!!

Good luck

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 07 23:43 GMT (UK) »
http://cistercian-way.newport.ac.uk/apath.asp?RouteID=route18f

have a look at this site. It shows the Cistercian Way and ties in Llanrhaiadr and Cyffylliog including Cernyfed where Hugh Jones was living in 1841 if I have the right one. Just proves that we musn't think roads. Its a start.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
& more

Offline snub nose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 January 07 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

I realise now that I have made a mistake.  Margaret was not born at Llanferres - but Ruthin and if I go on the LDS info at Gyfylliog, but I can't be sure!  Getting muddled with the Edwards' and Owens on the other side of the family.

The witnesses to the marriae were Elizabeth Price and Austin McKeen.  I have looked high and low for him without success.  I think Elizabeth could have been Ellis Hughes' sister which would be possible and is another line I am following.

Hugh's occupation on the marriage certificate is sawyer, but on the census farmer - so I don't think this ties in very well.  The Hugh I have found on the census was farming at Cernyfed in Llanrhaiadr.

Thanks for the details of the distances from Ruthin - it really helps.  The phrase 'keeping up with the Joneses' comes to mind!!

Best wishes
Gwyneth
Taylor, Northants

Offline snub nose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 January 07 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Peter

Great site, thanks.  You are right about the roads.  I must get my ordnance survey map of the area out again.  It really helps having someone to focus the mind.  I live in Somerset and know the area inside out - never need a map!  You found the right Hugh on the census - I just have to prove he is mine!

Regards
Gwyneth
Taylor, Northants

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 January 07 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gwyneth

I feel much more comfortable with Ruthin rather than Llanferres. That would be fairly typical especially if they were between Llanrhaiadr and Ruthin as Ruthin is much the larger. Llanrhaiadr to this day is only a village.

I suggest you scour the censuses for a Hugh Jones Sawyer in the general area.

Austin McKean is in the 1861 census and looks like he was under Keane in the 1851. Note spellings. He is an agricultural labourer living in the Chester area.

Let me know how you  go on.

Incidentally my yougest son has moved to Clevedon and we are just getting to know the area.

Peter
plus
& more