Author Topic: Dead End  (Read 3291 times)

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
  • 5th Generation - Noah Thomas 1874
    • View Profile
Re: Dead End
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 December 06 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Sandra i have found the marriage of Lucy and Samuel but cannot see who fathers are, do i need to be looking somewhere else for it as well.  which website do i need to use

also to see williams father and lucys father which website do i need to to on to view that...

I have been using ancestry and family search org.

cheers
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 December 06 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to you too & good luck with the Man Flu thing - it can be v serious  ::)

;D

Do you have the marriages for Noah & Benjamin?

1896 Q2 Salford - at Pendlebury Christ Church
Noah Thomas & Catherine Winnard / Winard

1901 Q2 Salford - at Pendlebury Christ Church
Benjamin Thomas & Mary Ann McEwen

Good luck with the rest
SandraC

You can't always see the fathers, sadly.
On the IGI / family search entry for William & Lucy's marriage it gives their ages & his father's name, but this is unusual.

Usually you can only find the information on the certificates themselves or if the Parish records have been microfilmed & someone can look them up for you, but this would need to be in Wolverhampton or Stafford I would think.

You could try posting on the Staffordshire board to see if anyone is doing lookups on Parish Registers
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 December 06 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes man flu is serious...lol... we are just deciding to have indian or chinese for tea - we were supposed to be going to my sister in laws for one of her indian curries, but had to cancel... man flu has a lot to answer, bet he is well enough to go to watch city tomorrow! my eldest has just left, he going out with his mates and sleeping out :'( bet i dont rest til he is home tomorrow...

I have Noahs birth and death certificate which started it all off... I was 5th generation with Noah and because it was rare when i was born, lol.. we made the local paper.. so i feel a special bond with Noah.  Sadley he died a few months after i was born. I also have a old picture of both Noah and Catherine Winnard. 

But was lost on Benjamin marriages, so thank you for that extra info, i didnt even look in 1901 was looking 1902 onwards cos benjamin wasnt married when the census was taken..doh

I have samuel married 1900 to a Mary Ellen Jacks as they have a son in 1901 and on the census Samuel is the only one married...

Got Hannah married to John Lawton.   

what a lot of info has been gained in a few days... i am so happy,

thanks for all your help today....
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 January 07 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I have found out what happend to Samuel Thomas 1835, he was in prison on the 1861 census at St Mary's Stafford.  He was sentaced to 7 years transportation to Austrilia for Larcency, which i think meant theft in those days.  He arrived in Aussie 31 december 1862 on the ship York which sailed from portsmouth 84 days earlier.

The records say he died 25.2.1866 in an accidental accident in champion bay... which means he died after Lucy married William got married in 1862, so did they have divorces in those days?????

Good site for convict ships http://members.iinet.com.au/~perthdps/convicts/ships.html

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this part of my family tree

foggyjano

Moderator comment: URL modified to act as a link
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know!

Some good detective work there.

I believe that wives of convicts often remarried (as did the convicts themselves).  The might have been a supposition that the convict would not survive the conditions, but in any case, I think they could be declared dead after 7 years if they did not return (obviously not relevant in your case).

There were not divorces, except for the very wealthy, until quite recent times.

I am particularly interested in your story, as my convict was sentenced to transportation in 1853 and I have been led to believe that he would not have gone to Australia, instead having his sentence commuted to imprisonment in the UK, as transportation effectively ended earlier than this.  Perhaps I will have to think again!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots ,

It was a very exciting few hours finding Samuel had gone to Aussie. Searching on Ancestry started it all off, as it showed him going to Aussie on their records and i just followed it up using google for ships arriving in Aussie.. in information i had from Ancestry was a good indiction to where to look!

From what i can gather Western Austrilia was the last area to accept convicts because they needed cheap labour, alot of the other areas had stopped being penal areas before 1862, so if your ancestors went to Western Aust you might find them on the link i went on to find Samuel as it lists all the ships arriving and lists the convicts on them, I was most surprised to find all the appearances of the convicts were listed... some of them sounded quite scary..lol..

Thanks for answering about the marriages and divorces, I couldnt understand  cos Lucy remarried in Sept 1862 so she had obviously known Samuel was being sent to Aussie,
but it didnt take her long did it!!!!!

Good luck in looking in tracing your ancestor, if he went to western aussie, i am sure he will show up on the link i used for ships arriving in aussie...

Foggyjano

Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Foggyjano

Have you looked for Henry instead of Harry. Harry does get used instead of Henry - Prince Harry is actually a Henry.

May be worth a shot :)

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.