Author Topic: Migratory Irish ancestors  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Migratory Irish ancestors
« on: Sunday 31 December 06 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm having enormous trouble finding out where my Harrington ancestors came from in Ireland. They only appear as a complete family on the English 1871 census.

Cornelius Harrington born 1811  Ireland
Helen Harrington born 1813 Ireland
Cornelius Harrington born 1857 Westminster
James Harrington born 1859 Ireland

there is no birth registration for the younger Cornelius but I know from the Westminster Diocesan archives that he was actually born and baptised in 1854. He was confirmed in the same church in Westminster in 1866 when he would have been aged 12.

There is no record of the older Harringtons on the 1851 census. There is no record of any of the family on the 1861 census. There is no record of any of the family on the 1881 census and only the younger Cornelius shows up after that.

Certainly some of the family were in England in 1854 and 1866 as well as 1871. The younger Cornelius marries for the first time in 1875 to a Mary Sullivan in Hanover Square London with a James Harrington as witness and with his father still alive. The younger Cornelius then marries again in 1884 to Mary Williams. James is NOT a witness but the father is still apparently alive.

I suspect the family keep going back to Ireland in the missing years but since they never state WHERE in Ireland they originally come from I don't know where they are going back TOO.

Are there any extant census returns for Ireland for 1851, 1861 and 1881? And are they searchable?

Sorry it's such a long post but any help finding this lot would be greatly appreciated

Jillie
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Migratory Irish ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 06 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Jillie- the first complete census records for all Ireland are 1901. Very few earlier census records remain and vary greatly from county to county. Therefore, you really need to know a place (county, parish and townland in many cases) and religion.
Thus, English records are probably going to give the only clues to an Irish residence.
Any idea what occupation Cornelius and sons followed? and where they lived at the times you have located them?
Found a few Cornelius Harringtons in 1881 but not sure if they are your family. IGI also shows quite a few Cornelius Harrington in Co. Cork but not enough information to connect them to your family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jillie42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 06 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Both Cornelius's were labourers. Before 1891 they seem to have lived in the Westminster area and worshipped at St Mary's, Horseferry Road which is no longer in use. The younger Cornelius moved to the Canning Town area where he became a docker for a while then to Marylebone. Eventually he died in Southwark where he was a bricklayer labourer.

I know the family was catholic but untill recently nobody knew the family had originally come from Ireland :-\ and certainly no township or location has ever been mentioned. The only possible lead I have is the family of his first wife, Mary Sullivan. I'm pretty certain her family lived in very close proximity to the Harringtons....and that they originally came from County Cork - not much to go on though is it?
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 06 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Jillie- came up with a few possibilities in case you haven't seen them-

1881 census- Cornelius Harrington age 61 (born c1820 Ireland), dock labourer, wife Margaret and son Cornelius (born c1851 Shoreditch). However, doesn't fit- son Cornelius unmarried. When I checked, there was a marriage in March quarter 1850 Westminster for a Cornelius Harrington- Margaret Hankinson is possible wife.

Then in 1881 Census- Christchurch Workhouse, Southwark lists an inmate Cornelius Harrington, 72, born Cork Ireland, bricklayer, widowed.

Back to marriage index-
Sept. quarter 1851 (also Westminster) Cornelius Harrington. Possible wife Ellen Hanwell? (Ellen and Helen are often interchangable).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jillie42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 07 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Did consider the Ellen Hanwell possibility. There are no Helens in our family but there have been a couple of Ellens since the early Harringtons.

The only confusion is on the younger Cornelius's baptism. There is no christian name given for his mother but her surname is given as "Collins". I have never been able to find a Cornelius Harrington married to a Helen or Ellen Collins :( so I've assumed that they were probably married in Ireland and even that they might have had older children (given their respective ages) that either died or were left behind.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 07 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Jillie- I did come across a Cornelius Harrington with wife Ellen Collins but didn't think they fit. Will look them up again and get back to you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 07 15:38 GMT (UK) »
From IGI:
Cornelius Harrington and Ellen Collins
1. Pat (male) chr. 5 May 1842 Batrny, Cork, Ireland
2. John chr. 8 May 1844 Bantry, Cork, Ireland.

Also a later birth for Maggie Cornelius Harrington born 29 Oct.1879 Kilbrittain, Bandon, Cork but probably not same family.

P.S. when you're searching for Cornelius Harrington also try Neal/Neill/Niall & Con as those names often used for Cornelius.

Offline Jillie42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 07 16:00 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey

certainly this could be the right Cornelius and Ellen. I know that there is a chance they didn't come to England until after 1851 and no later then September 1854 when Cornelius is born. The clincher would be if I could find a baptism for James around 1859 in Ireland.

Actually, this might seem like a really dumb question but during the Victorian era would catholics have tried to marry with the catholic faith?

Cornelius the younger married both times in a catholic church. I'm 99% that Mary Sullivan had Irish parents but since "Williams" doesn't sound very Irish I've assumed she probably wasn't catholic. Her father was deceased by the time she married in 1884 but I've since discovered today that her father might have been Irish too. I guess it would make sense?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Sound like Co. Cork is a strong possiblity but just watch out when place of birth is listed as 'Ireland'.
Researched my cousins' family family back to 'Irish' ancestor and found his birthplace listed as 'Cardiff, Ireland'! Seems parents had moved from Co. Cork (we still don't know where) to Cardiff, Wales and then to America but still considered themselves Irish.
Unfortunately birth registration in Ireland only started in 1864, so church records are most likely source to search. Also, Catholic marriages only started being registered in 1864.