Author Topic: Lost - John William Galtrey - Help please?  (Read 2429 times)

coffeecup

Lost - John William Galtrey - Help please?
« on: Sunday 31 December 06 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year everyone. Can you make mine a good one and please help me find a lost gt gt grandad JOHN WILLIAM GALTREY?

I have his marriage to Lucy Yates in Sutton St Helens Lancashire in 1906.

He was a painter, bachelor, aged 21 and also states his father as John William Galtrey, a painter.

He is buried in St Helens Cemetry, and age at death in 1955 was 70. His date of birth must be 1885.

I cannot find any records of him on the 1891 or 1901 census.

The only birth listed in the BMD registers is for a John William Galtrey born 1885 june qtr STOCKTON co. Durham North Riding vol 10a pg 81.

I know this is a shot in the dark but there don't appear to be any Galtrey's in Lancashire, but there are are a few for Yorkshire. Does anyone have GALTREY connections? Or can you find him on a census in this vicinity? I would be very grateful if anyone can offer some help.

Many thanks

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost - John William Galtrey - Help please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 06 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi coffeecup

1891 RG12/3663 Folio 85
John J Galtry Head 29 b Scarborough    Common Painter
Frances J Wife 26 b Woolwich, Kent
John J Son 5 b Stockton
Florence Dau 3 Stockton
Violet Dau 8mths b Stockton
93 Glasshouse St, Hunslet, Yorkshire

Sue

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 06 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Marriage
John James GALTREY
Sept qtr 1881, Scarborough vol 9d page 517
Matching ref: Frances Jane FLOREY
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 06 19:10 GMT (UK) »
1881 RG11/4804 Folio 17
William Galtry Head 50 b Scarboro, Yorkshire   Painter
Mary Galtry Wife 49 b Hunmanby, Yorkshire
William Hall Stepson 28 unm b Hunmanby   Farm Labourer
Joseph Galtrey Son 25 unm b Scarboro   Fisherman
John J. Galtrey Son 21 unm b Scarboro    Coach Painter
Robert T. Galtrey Son 16 b Scarboro    Cabinet Maker
17 Long West Gate, Scarborough, Yorkshire

coffeecup

« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 07 01:39 GMT (UK) »
A really BIG thank you for that. This really great and extremely helpful. The occupation and the ages line up well. I think this may very well be the family I am looking for.

On his marriage cetificate in 1906 he put his residence as Watery Lane Sutton. I checked the same address on the 1901 census and he's not there.

I guess if he can be located in 1901 it would really confirm I now have the right man? He must have moved from Scarborourgh to St Helens, but it would be very helpful to know his whereabouts to be confident enough to send for this Stockton birth certificate. In the absence of other alternatives do you think this birth record in Stockton is my John William Galtrey?

Thank you again for your time and trouble. Much appreciated!

Happy New Year!

Steph

Offline willow2670

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 07 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steph
This was the closet match I could find.
I couldn't find them in 1901, prehaps another
Rootchatter may have better luck.
All the same, I am quietly confident this is
the family your looking for.   

Happy hunting for 2007.   ;)

Sue

coffeecup

« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 07 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I'm really grateful for your help.

I have been looking for him on and off for a very long time. I guess that he must have been mistranscribed on the 1901 census? There are so many interpretations on the name Galtrey it's mind blowing. I don't think the answer is going to come overnight as to his where abouts in 1901. Maybe someone has him in their family, or an alternative method of searching the census, Cd's perhaps. It's just a bit of a leap of faith to go from Sutton to Scarborough/Stockton, but I will send for this birth certificate, perhaps with a reference check on his father?

His wife's family are coming up with so many surprizes I can't take anything in as certain. There are people joining from America and the West Indies, a remarriage, a marriage split, a baby who doesn't belong, it's all happening here. I just didn't want to go searching off at a tangent and find I was wrong again. Hopefully he'll be spotted in there eventully.

Thanks again.

Steph

coffeecup

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 July 07 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Six months later and I've finally found John William Galtrey in 1901!

He was indeed born in Stockton.

The family changed their surname inexplicably to SMITH!

They can be found in St Helens 1901 RG13 3520 folio 158 pg 18.

This was brought to light when I recieved the death certificate of John James Galtrey registered by his wife Frances Jane Galtrey in 1933 and it clearly states 'otherwise Smith!' Looking in the elelctoral registers in St Helens she can be found at that same address as Jane Smith! This is really confusing. They lost 7 of their 13 children, 5 in infancy and two girls before they were 20. They made their way from Scarborough, to Stockton, then to Hunslet Leeds, then Blackburn and when they came to St Helens and finally settled around 1895 the rest of the children were registered as Smiths, not Galtreys. Amelia and Violet who were registered Galtrey's both married under the surname of Smith.

I've never come across anything like this before, and I can't understand the drastic change of surname.

Thanks to all who helped with look up's, they were spot on.

Offline Diddler1983

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 06:44 GMT (UK) »
That's the cryptic past of my ancestors and isn't a bit a bit surprising of a suttoner let alona my aunt Lucy...

Get in touch

X