Author Topic: Thompson  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Adamand

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thompson
« on: Monday 01 January 07 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello and a happy new year. I am having a problem  with THOMPSON. unfortunately a common name. I am looking for a Joseph Richardson THOMPSON
 born Norton. Got him on the 1881 as Joseph R THOMPSON  age 32 and I think I have him on the 1861 age 13 and living in Norton but he is down as just Joseph living with parents Joseph THOMPSON a potter and wife Mary.  I would like to have him in the 1851 census if possible so that I can confirm that he is the correct one.

Thanks Adamand

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 07 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I hope this is him

1851 HO107; Piece: 2399; Folio: 551; Page: 28

11 Cuthbert Street Westoe

Joseph Thompson  31 yrs potter b Southwick
Mary  36 yrs b Yorkshire Beverley
Hannah M  9 yrs b Newcastle on Tyne
Angus (Agnes?) daur  7 yrs b Norton
William  5 yrs     ditto
Joseph R 2 yrs   ditto
Sarah E 10 months  ditto

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 07 19:43 GMT (UK) »
I think the Joseph Thompson aged 61 boarding with him in the 1881 census gives the game away.

In 1871 they are at Chapel Row, Norton
Joseph Thompson Head M 51 Potter Durham Southwick
Mary Wife M 53 Yorks Beverley
Joseph R Son Unm 22 Potter Durham Norton
John Son Unm 17 MOulder " "
RG10/ 4901; Folio: 103; Page: 18
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Adamand

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 07 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks heywood and Mary. It's nice to have it confirmed that it is the correct family and it saves me taking the wrong path in my search. I do have the 1841 census for Durham and although it is not indexed I can now look for them at leisure. Thanks again.

Adamand

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 January 07 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear Adamand,

Not sure if this is the right Joseph Thompson as there are quite a few on the 1841 census, and as their eldest daughter Hannah was born in Newcastle c1842 they might have been on the north side of the river at the time of the census!

HO 107 298/5 Folio 36 page 66
Westoe - District 5
Barrington Street
Joseph Thompson 20 Potter Yes
Mary Thompson 20 - No

Joseph's occupation is very faint on the census return so other eyes could help to check if 'potter' is correct or not.

Happy Searching,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 January 07 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with Potter.

Mary's birth "out of County" would also match.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Adamand

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 January 07 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. Thanks Patsy and Mary. It does look like the Joseph that I am looking for. I would like to explain the reason I am interested it this side of the family.
George William FLANAGAN married Mary Richardson THOMPSON in 1900 and a number of his descendants show the :thalassaemia trait: If you type in in the search engine you can read about it and see that originates in the Mediterranean area. None of descendants of Georg Wm brothers or sisters have the trait so I can safely assume that it comes in on the marriage of GWF and MRT. What I have to do now is if I can find any possible births on both side of Mary R THOMPSON that have Mediterranean ancestry. Must keep trying. Adamand

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 January 07 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear Adamand,

I wish you luck with your searching. I have just done a google search and I now understand why you are researching the family tree.

Have you thought that it might be a Mediterranean visitors passing through South Shields! 150 years ago and even just 50 years ago the river was busling with ships from around the world. There were no marinas just docks full of ships, cargo and crews. The town has always had a rich diversity of nationalities, and I think it will be difficult to establish just where it has entered the family tree unless one of those sailors stayed.

Good Luck,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 January 07 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Patsy has a very valid point, you may never know 100% of the truth.

However, I wish you lots of luck and just yell when you want some more help - have you followed Mary's mother's line yet?