Author Topic: John Tabor circa 1730  (Read 3957 times)

Offline alftabor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alf
    • View Profile
John Tabor circa 1730
« on: Monday 01 January 07 22:48 GMT (UK) »
This man is my brickwall.
Supposed officer in the manor court of Duke of Bedford
Any info on him or how to research him would be appreciated
Tabor=Wiltshire-Australia-Japan-Argentina/Canada/USA
Millman=Dorset-Australia
Oxlade=Buckinghamshire-Australia
Wilkins=Wiltshire-Australia
Bassett=Bermondsey,Australia
Alt=London,Nagasaki,Surrey

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: John Tabor circa 1730
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alf,

Lovely to see a post by you. We will try to help you if we can. Can you tell us what you know about John? Where in Wiltshire do you expect to find him? Do you know where he married or even where his children were born? I can see a John Tabor baptised 18 May 1727 Bemerton parents James and Martha and another on the 1 Jan 1730 at Cricklade St Sampson father Ralph

There is a Sarum Marriage Bond in 1769 may be of interest to you  ;)

25 Sep 1769
John TABOR aged 23 wheelwright residing at Quidhampton bachelor –  Margaret TABOR aged 23 residing at Salisbury St Martin spinster..... Bondsmen BARNES William - a carpenter and joiner of Salisbury..... to be married at Salisbury St Martin

John and Margaret appear to have had children in Fugglestone St Peter and Bemerton. I note Quidhampton, Fugglestone and Bemerton are all very close together in the Salisbury area.

Baptisms Listed to John and Margaret at Fugglesston St Peter

Stephen 27 sep 1771
Sarah 1 Oct 1773
John 16 Nov 1774
Philip 2 Feb 1777
Sarah 16 Jan 1778
William 26 Mar 1780

Baptisms Listed to John and Margaret at Bemerton

Phillip 16 Jun 1782
George 30 Jul 1784
George 31 Jul 1785

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Alf I have been looking further and I can say

The most likely candidate I can see for John is

John TABOR baptised 28 Feb 1745 Bemerton Parents John and Sarah  ;)

There is also a marriage bond for his parents

29 Mar 1743
John TABOR aged 21 wheelwright residing at Fugglestone (Quidhampton) bachelor – Sarah MATTINGLY aged 21 residing at Fugglestone (Quidhampton), Spinster...... Bondsmen FROWD Edward a wheelwright of Quidhampton.....to be married at Fugglestone/Bemerton/Salisbury St Thomas

Other Children Baptised to John and Sarah at Bemerton

William 25 Mar 1748

Other Children Baptised to John and Sarah at Fuggleston St Peter

Rachel 26 Jan 1743
Philip 15 Dec 1751

Marriage Bond for Philip perhaps

6 Oct 1807
Philip TABOR aged 50 occupation yeo residing at Fugglestone (Quidhampton) bachelor –Mary MOBELY age not given – residing at Salisbury St Thomas, Widow – Bondsmen MILLER Clement,victualler,Salisbury – place where marriage to take place is not listed but IGI lists it occurred at Salisbury St Thomas the following day

Some interesting Tabor References here Alf if you haven't seen it at this Quidhampton Site

http://www.southwilts.com/site/Quidhampton-Parish-Council/the%20quidhampton%20story.pdf

Hope it Helps...........Sorry I don't know anything about the Duke of Bedford.

All the Best..........Kris  :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alf,

I am sorry you are having trouble replying to your post here at RootsChat. I hope you work it out. There is a reply buttom on the bottom (just right of centre) of this post. Provided you are signed in (Your profile will say you are online and your little green light will be on - if it says you are offline you will need to sign in first) by clicking that reply button you will be able to reply.( If you are not signed in the reply button will not appear to you.) Give it a try  ;)

I was going to email this but decided it was best to reply here in case any others members have anything to add, so they will know where we are.

I am glad I could help with your John and Margaret and provide new information there. That certainly is something positive. I am sorry to have to disagree, but I do think John and Sarah are the parents of John who married Margaret TABOR. It appears to be pretty much an exact match to me, but alas it is your family and ultimately only you can decide. You are very lucky these marriage bonds appear for your family. Giving and age and occupation as these have is amazing for records in this time frame. The Son and Father are both wheelwrights. I really feel there is little doubt these two were in fact father and son. John Married Margaret TABOR in 1769. His age is listed as 23. John was baptised in 1745 (Son of John and Sarah). Doing my sums this means an almost exact match.  ;)

Unfortunately I had no luck getting any further back. There is a John b 1699 Fugglestone to John and Hester/Esther, I suspect he was  married to a Sarah and had at least 2 Children that I can see in the later part of the 1720's but no son John showing up anywhere I can access. I could not find a marriage for this man unfortunately to see if dates matched and he could have had a son John around 1722 since John who wed Sarah MATTINGLY was 21 at the time of marriage in 1743 he must have been born 1722ish.

You mention thinking James may have been John's father. John the son of James and Martha FRYER was born in 1727 so he does not fit into either of these records we have. (and his parents only married in 1726, so I dont think he was a few years old at baptism) Re this John (Son of James and Martha Fryer) born in 1727 age is just too far out I am afraid. He would be aged 16 in 1743 so not the man who wed Sarah MATTINGLY and 42 in 1769 so not the man who married Margaret TABOR. As I said these Sarum Bonds are just wonderful with age and Occ listed. You are very fortunate - such a bonus. There certainly is plenty of activity surrounding James TABORS in Fugglestone/Bemerton but alas I cannot see a birth of a John to fit your family, sorry. I can not find any marriage for this John b 1727 perhaps he died - I am unable to access burials for this area.

I also found another interesting item. Looks like John may have been in Salisbury Infirmary in 1774 but unfortunately the record does not list an address nor age to confirm which John. Pity no complaint listed either. Some contain quite a bit of info, In hospital some 5 weeks it must have been quite serious - at least whatever it was he was cured which for those times one can imagine was quite some achievement.

John TABOR was an In-Patient admitted to Salisbury Infirmary on the 19 Feb 1774 and discharged  on the 26 Mar 1774 cured

Hope you liked that Quidhampton Site. Some very interesting items in it re the Tabor Family.

Pics of Fugglestone St Peter Church also if you haven't seen it. Gas Lighting today

http://www.rootschat.com/links/012j/

Good Luck with it Alf........Hope you knock down a few Brick Walls in 2007.....Umpteenth Cousin as you say LOL or as my FH program tells me..Your 3rd Cousin Kris  :)

Offline alftabor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I think I've Logged in.
See Reply offline.
Thanks once again for your assistance
Alf
Tabor=Wiltshire-Australia-Japan-Argentina/Canada/USA