Author Topic: Jessups in Tonbridge  (Read 3612 times)

Offline bastet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jessups in Tonbridge
« on: Thursday 18 November 04 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I just acquired the will of my anscestor James jessup, written in 1901.  Now from this will, it is eveident that this man owned half that darn town. There must be a good 80 cottages (of which I am wondering the definition of that) freehold and leasehold, about 5-8 shops (I'm missing page 1 still, where all the juicy stuff will be) of which I am not sure what is meant by "shop", boats (plural) 100 shares in the Tonbridge water works, at least 2 "dwellinghouses" (of which i am wondering the defination of that), and the chapel in Knockholt which appears to have become a leasehold sometime between the will of 1901 and the new one of 1906 and is left to his Trustees.

I'm getting the feeling that this guy was someone rather important here.

Now, he died in sevenoaks (owning the 110 acre farm on Sundridge hill in Sevenoaks) but with so much property in Tonbridge there must be a mention of him somewhere and I can't seem to find it.   Business registries?  Notable mention somewhere?

His father was John Jessup (You may remember I was asking about the Harris' in case I am sounding familiar) who was a Limeburner (yeah, sure he was....as much as James was a Labouror huh?)  In case that helps.

James was born about 1820-21, and married Matilda Maria Burgess in 1839 in the Parish Church in Otford of whom her fathers name was Benjamin Richard Burgess. (Yay, finally got a name for her father too, if anyone can find anything else on that end...born Otford I think. 1819 or 1820)

Hoping someone can help me on some of these little gaps.   Also Thanks everyone who helped me so wonderfully on the harris information.  You're all awesome!  :) :-*