Author Topic: Henry / Lynd families from Broane  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Dave H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry / Lynd families from Broane
« on: Wednesday 03 January 07 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information about the Henry and Lynd families from the Aghadowey / Garvagh area.

Robert Henry b 1830 married Martha Jane Lynd in 1860. They had 6 children born in the area -
Ellen Jane b 1860
James b 1861
Wiliam John b 1865
Robert b 1867
David b 1870
Annie b 1873
In 1874-1875 they travelled to London, New Zealand and finally Australia. Martha's parents were William Lynd and Mary Hill. Robert's parents were William Henry and Jean Hill. Its possible that Jean and Mary were related. The Lynd name has been spelled a few different ways - Linn, Lynn, Lynd and Lind all occur on different certificates.

Most of their records give their place of birth as Broane. I've found many different spellings of this name - Brone, Broan, Boane, Brean and Broyhn. Do these all refer to the same place? Is there a map available anywhere that shows where this is? I've never been able to find anything.

The records that we have found include the baptisms for each of the children. I've found a marriage entry on this site http://www.4qd.org/bann/church/AghadoweyPresby/MarriagesBook1.html for Robert and Martha. It also lists a second marriage for a William Henry from Broane, but I can't tell if that is Robert's father or not.
I also found a gravestone transcription here http://www.4qd.org/bann/church/AghadoweyPresby/Graves.html which may be Martha's parents and sister.

Any information on these families would be greatly appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry / Lynd families from Broane
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Dave- welcome to Rootschat and to Aghadowey (in a manner of speaking). I like a short distance from Brone and am, probably, related to these Lynds.

First of all Brone/Broane/Broan are all local names for the townland of Mullinabrone which probably means something like "the little summit of the mill-stone."

Briefly:
William Lynd (c1780-1857), farmer, Mullinabrone, m. Mary Hill (c1800-1875) and had:
1. Catherine (c1829-1863).
2. Nancy m.(1871) Hugh Henry, Glasgort.
3. Martha Jane (14 May 1835) m.(31 May 1860) Robert Henry.
4. Andrew (c1827-1882) m.(1870) Hannah Alexander & had: James Alexander, William John, Robert Thompson, Martha Jane, Andrew, Ann/Annie.
5. Ellin m.(1855) James Tannahill.

Robert Henry, born 1833, m.(31 May 1860 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church) Martha Jane Lynd. Children:
1. Ellin Jane, bapt. 4 June 1861 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church.
2. James, bapt. 24 July 1863 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church.
3. William John born 15 Aug.1865 Garvagh dist. (probably Brone), bapt. 1 Sept.1865 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church.
4. Robert born 27 Oct.1867 Garvagh dist. (Brone?), bapt. 12 Dec.1867 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church.
5. David born 26 July 1870 Brone, bapt. 28 Sept.1870 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church.
6. Ann born 29 June 1873 Brone.
7. Ernest born 1876 Melbourne.

Have more on Lynds and a bit on Henrys.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dave H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Some great info there. The Henry family back in Australia put together a book on the descendants of Robert Henry. A lot of the dates are slightly different to the ones you've posted, probably because errors have occured at some stage since the 1960's when my uncle travelled to Garvagh and researched most of it. The book mentions Ellen Tannahill and the Henrys lived at her house in Melbourne for a while before they built their own house. I also have a marriage certificate for a Hannah Linn, who was Ellens sister.

Philip Dowling m Hannah Linn 21 May 1874 in Melbourne. Ellen and Hannah both lived on the same street in South Yarra, Melbourne and they both came to Australia on the same ship in 1855.

Despite the family book running to 300 pages, your post contains more information about the family back in Ireland  ;D. William John was the only one to write down anything about Ireland and he was too young to remember much of it. He did write about the trip over and their early life in Victoria though.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Dave- didn't know about the book and hadn't heard about Hannah Lynd either. It seems as though we both have information that the other doesn't have.
Would be interested in exchanging information. Send me pm with an e-mail address if you want to get in touch.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CWJH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 August 08 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave.  Was very interested to read your post.  In knew about William Lynd of Broan and his wife Mary Hill because their daughter Ellen married the brother of my great great grandfather, James Tannahill.  James Tannahill was a son of Frederick and Mary Tannahill of Ballywilliam, Macosquin.  The reason I'm messaging you was to find out anything that you might know about the life of James and Ellen after their emigratioin to Australia in 1855.  Am I right in thinking that they had no children?  Did they go their separate ways?  When Ellen died, I believe the whereabouts of her husband were stated as 'unknown'.  Might he have spent some time in prison?  I believe he may have returned to Ireland and died there.  Many thanks.  I'd be delighted if you could add any substance to the life of Ellen and James in Australia.

Offline Dave H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 August 08 08:52 BST (UK) »
All the info I have about Ellen is from the family book which I don't have a copy of myself. Next time I visit the parents I'll borrow it and post up anything I find.

Offline CWJH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave.  I'd be delighted for you help.

Offline Dave H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 08 02:25 BST (UK) »
I don't have any info on Ellen before 1875, this is the first section in the book that mentions her:
The photos below show present day No. 94 Argo Street, South Yarra, which was No. 48 when Robert Henry built on the east corner of Hardy and Argo Streets. In 1876, No. 48 belonging to Ellen Tannahill, was a brick four roomed house with a net value of 22 pounds and at a rate of 1 pound 2 shillings. Robert's was a wooden four roomed house with a net value of 14 pounds and at a rate of 14 shillings. Another occupier in Argo Street at No. 27, later becoming No. 33, was Philip Dowling who had married Hannah Lynd, Ellen's sister. He had another place at No. 139 Margaret Street that included a stable, shed and land and he had an occupation as a horse trainer. He had several warehouses in the city and was said to have commenced racing at Caulfield.

This was written by the Granddaughter of Martha Jane in 1970:
One of Grandmothers sisters had come to Australia in the fifties, possibly on a scheme envisaged by the Presbyterian Minister, John Dunmore Lang, who brought young Protestant Irish girls out as servants, to counter balance the same sort of successful scheme fostered by the Catholic Caroline Chisholm.

Remembering that it was during the mining boom years, it is easy to understand why the prospective employers would rush to the ship side to get the most comely females. A Dublin man, Phil Dowling, chose the Lind girl as a help for his invalid wife. When the wife died he married her. Phil Dowling had brought his house from Ireland (Dublin) to Argo Street, South Yarra, and he was a racehorse owner.

I think the Dowlings had three children, a boy and two girls, but I definately know that they had two daughters who later married men whose names were Greer and Cerutty. The Dowlings moved in a very social set, and Mrs Dowling brought her sister Ellen out as her companion. This sister, Mrs Tannahill, was either a widow or separated from her husband.

Theres no mention of James or any children, so it seems likely he had died or left before the Henrys arrived and that they had no children. Ellen and Hannah both came out on the same ship so it seems likely they both came out as servant girls.