Author Topic: Alma Road & Cranbrook Street  (Read 9296 times)

Offline kellysmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alma Road & Cranbrook Street
« on: Wednesday 03 January 07 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any information on Cranbrook Street and Alma Road in Bethnal Green.  My line of Sayce takes me to these two roads pretty much throughout the 1800's.  The whole family lived here at some point in their lives, most of their life for some of them.

After buying an A to Z I have noticed that it s no longer there but was knocked down and replaced by the Cranbrook Estate between 1959 and 1963.  It kept the Cranbrook name as this was a major influencial road in the area.  I believe they were all weaver's houses (i.e large top floor windows) as I have a book on Bethnal Green which shows part of the old Cranbrook Street.

If anybody knows where people from this area would have been buried I would really appreciate it. 

Also, has anyone else been in a similar situation and found it  really frustrating?  I mean when you cannot go and even take a photograph of the place where their ancestors once lived.  I feel like a part of my family history has been ripped away of which I can never regain.

Many thanks (and sorry for waffling!!)

Kelly x

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Alma Road & Cranbrook Street
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

A few years ago took my dad back to his birthplace, Hoxton, but found most of the streets gone and replaced by blocks of flats.  One of his old schools was still there but the name had been changed.  He took some photos of that instead!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 10:42 GMT (UK) »
You can try the Booths Poverty map - this link is centred on Hoxton, just next door to Bethnal Green.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/012k/

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline kellysmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jan & Julien.  I tried looking on Booths website the other night and it was saying it wasn't there!! I'll give it another go.

Jan maybe you're right!  I'll take a picture of the blocks of flats!!!!  They're not as interesting though!

Oh well..........

Kelly x

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Try www.motco.com  They are both there on this map http://www.motco.com/Map/81006/

I'm afraid that with relatives in London, especially in East London, you will find that many of the streets have changed due to bombing during WW2

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline kellysmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I shall take a look.  I've just bought 3 Ordnance Survey Maps from 1870, 1894 & 1914 in which they both show on all 3.  The two roads were right next to each other which makes sense why the family all stayed close.

Kelly x

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I share your frustration at not even having a photo of some of the houses/streets wher my families lived (mostly London, many in Bethnal Green/Stepney) as many have disappeared as others have noted.  When I first started seriously looking at FH I immediately took my digi-cam and snapped as many places that survived as possible.  Unfortunately I don't think I have any photos of Alma Rd or Cranbrook St.

The Tower Hamlets Archive is very good and helpful and you might consider visiting or contacting them by email if you are far away - they are listed on this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130729.0.html - among other things they have a reasonable image section.

As far as burials of London folk is concerned, this can be very tough - there is a rough guide here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,128585.0.html

Good luck
Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kellysmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Biker.  I shall try calling Tower Hamlets Archives and see what they have!

I shall update in due course.  My father and I are looking at going to Bethnal Green on a couple of day trips (hardly Southend though!!) and seeing what we can find.

Kelly x

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly

While you're in Bethnal Green I would definitely drop by the Tower Hamlets Archive which isn't too far away at the same time if you can manage it.  If you do go to the Archives, check beforehand that the Archivist will be there as his knowledge is very good indeed.

Good luck with your hunt!

Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk