Author Topic: Stokes: descendents  (Read 2617 times)

Offline homegrandchild

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stokes: descendents
« on: Wednesday 03 January 07 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi:
Looking for descendents of Frederick W (abt 1863), George H (abt 1869), Florence E (abt 1860) or Albert E (abt 1879).

Their siblings, my g'father, Walter Lucas, b. 1873 and his sister Maggie (Mary) (abt. 1872) were sent to Canada with Dr. Middlemore's Home Children

Moderator comment: census results already supplied and further answers on HGC's other threads.  See also: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,204238.msg1038098.html#msg1038098

England: Saltley, West Bromwich, Dudley, Aston, Warwickshire,
Surname: Stokes

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stokes: descendents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

I have Shropshire/Staffordshire/Denbighshire Stokes in my tree. Where abouts in Shropshire where your's born?

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline homegrandchild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 07 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

I'm new at this searchin' job and not as familiar with location names, but I have census and other info that says my Stokes relatives were born/registered at West Bromwich, Sandwell, Dudley, Saltley, Worcester, Birmingham and Warwickshire.

hgc
England: Saltley, West Bromwich, Dudley, Aston, Warwickshire,
Surname: Stokes

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 07 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi hgc  :)

I noticed the other threads and don't seem to link in with any of yours at the moment. Mine were mainly Withenhall and Darlaston in Staffs and then St Martins in Shropshire and villages in  adjacent Denbighshire. Others moved to Yorkshire (Wsst Riding) and some to  New Jersey. I have all the descendants of my Stokes 3 x great grandparents until 1901 and about 50% to present day.

I remember when I was doing my searching that there were a considerable number of Stokes in the area.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline BGentle33

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 03:02 GMT (UK) »
have a look at www.archives.ca (Canadian Archives website), under Archivia net, there is a searchable database of Canadian "home children".   You can also try Middlemore Homes
55 Stevens Avenue
Bartley Green
Birmingham, England, B32 3SD
Phone: 0121 427 9791 (plus the county access code)

Good luck.