Author Topic: Thomas Kemp (Butcher) b 1845  (Read 774 times)

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Kemp (Butcher) b 1845
« on: Wednesday 03 January 07 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching my gt gt  grandfather's family in Salford/Hulme in Manchester.  James Kemp was variously a butcher and an umbrella stick maker and his wife was Mary Moores (married in the parish of Eccles.)  James  had 6 children and one of them was Thomas (b 1845) my gt grandfather who married Martha Wild on 4 11 1866 at St Bartholomews, Salford and died in 1881. 

I am stuck on James whose wedding certificate records that his father was called William Kemp and that he was a woodturner.

Hughes, Anglesey, Kemp Manchester, Beaumont Manchester and Huddersfield, Chadwick and Whitehead Huddersfield, Bell Lincoln, Blacktoft, Dewsbury, I'Anson, Ripon, Thirsk, Middleton Quernhow, Langlands, Scotland and Morpeth

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kemp (Butcher) b 1845
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 07 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi loislane112 and a Warm Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I'm thinking Christening records for Thomas & his siblings..... but wondered what else you may have done already

Wendi :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 07 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendi  Thanks for the welcome and the reply.  As you can see from my name I like Superman.  I have the christening of thomas and siblings in Manchester Cathedral to James Kemp and Mary Kemp and have found james in the 51 census born Hulme.  i cannot find him in the 41 where he would have been 21 and possibly wit his father who is called William.  The only thing i can think of is that he was not born in Hulme and perhaps came from ireland but that is just a thought.
Hughes, Anglesey, Kemp Manchester, Beaumont Manchester and Huddersfield, Chadwick and Whitehead Huddersfield, Bell Lincoln, Blacktoft, Dewsbury, I'Anson, Ripon, Thirsk, Middleton Quernhow, Langlands, Scotland and Morpeth

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 07 12:33 GMT (UK) »
It seems you have got a lot already  ;D

On subsequent census James it still a Butcher, born Hulme, so he seems reasonably sure about that!

He could have been learning his trade in another County in 1841, and then of course it would not list his place of birth, but I have to say I can't see a William who works with wood  :(

Wendi :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 07 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks anyway Wendi, neither can I