Author Topic: can anyone help me find St David's please  (Read 2362 times)

Offline eilidh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
can anyone help me find St David's please
« on: Thursday 04 January 07 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have just found one of my ancestors was a clerical student at St David's on 1901 census RG13/5208 County of Flint, Civil Parish Whitford.
I have attached a couple of relevant lines of the census image in the hope that someone will be able to help me find this RC Church.  Apologies but it isnt very clear.
My knowledge of Flint is sadly lacking, and googling doesnt seem to bring up a St David's Church or monastery in Flint.  Would really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks
Helen
CATER, Braintree, Colchester & Leek
CHIVAS, Fraserburgh Scotland, Canada, USA
DIGBY, Braintree, Colchester, Essex
DONALDSON, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Canada, USA
McKIE, Kirkudbright,Wigton, Whithorn
PICKERING, Leek, Staffordshire
SHALLCROSS, Leek, Staffordshire
STONEHEWER, Leek, Staffordshire
TIDESWELL, Leek, Staffordshire
VERNON, Leek, Staffordshire
WALKER, Holywood

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone help me find St David's please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 07 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen

Although I am not RC I know that Pantasaph has a Friary and if you google under that name it will provide loads of information.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 07 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I rang the RC Cathedral at Wrexham concerning this,and they gave me a number of the Monastery, which is still in being,for you to ring-01352-717073.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eilidh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 07 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you William and Peter, I really appreciate your help. William is there any chance you could get me an email address to contact the monastery. I live in Brisbane Australia so would find it a wee bit hard to contact the right person at the right time on the phone  :)  Sorry for being a nuisance.  I am hoping to get some background information to add to the family tree.

Hope you both had a good Christmas and New Year 2007. If I can help you down under please do not hesitate to ask.

bye Helen
WALKER, Holywood

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 07 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Having seen your replynow,I phoned the Monastery and will PM you with an Email address.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 07 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Helen and everyone,

I'll just butt in with info from my collection of old maps: yes, Pantasaph friary used to be in Whitford parish and, though that's a large parish in area, I can't see any other place within the boundaries that I've heard of in connection with a seminary.

The Friary used to have a website at http://www.friarypantasaph.org/ but  unfortunately that's been hijacked. I never heard it called St David's, I must admit.

Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 January 07 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have just found one of my ancestors was a clerical student at St David's on 1901 census RG13/5208 County of Flint, Civil Parish Whitford.
Many thanks
Helen

Helen

At Christmas I went to St Deniols in Hawarden for dinner. A delightful place. There we were shown around the library where thousands of Gladstone's books are kept. The librarian is very helpful. there are lots of books referring to the Franciscan monasteries in the area. I am sure he would be able to throw some light on your query. this is the web site .www.st-deniols.org

good luck                                               ;)

erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline eilidh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 January 07 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Erin, Chris, William and Peter. I would like to thank you all for responding to my posting. William many thanks, I was contacted by the monastery and they are kindly sending me out a booklet on the history of the Pantasaph Friary.

Kind regards
Helen