Author Topic: Help with Brenchley's of Kent please  (Read 1204 times)

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Brenchley's of Kent please
« on: Thursday 04 January 07 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help please with confussion over my Brenchleys....  I have..
Sarah Brenchley born 1809 in Rochester according to census reports.  The only Sarah Brenchley I can find, born in Rochester in 1809 (ties in with census) was born to George and Mary Brenchley, 2 other siblings Mary 1813 and Frances 1811.  However, I can find no marriage for George and Mary for that time era, the only marriage I can find for a George Brenchley on the IGI is for 15 Feb 1802 to a Sarah Overy in Eastling Kent.  Not sure how far away from Rochester that is, maybe she could have been a first wife who died?... Maybe there was more than 1 George Brenchley?  Can anyone help?

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Brenchley's of Kent please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 00:29 GMT (UK) »
elrowe,

Have you gone through the parish registers that are online at the CityArk Medway Ancestors website:

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

They aren't indexed but they are free. 

Since Sarah was baptized 2 April 1809 at Saint Nicholas Church in Rochester, I would try searching that church's marriage records first, beginning in April 1809 and going backwards from there.

I see that Frances and Mary were baptized at the same church.  That's a hopeful sign that they were settled and might have married in that church, too.

Just because the marriage isn't on the IGI doesn't mean it isn't in the church records.  I've found lots of records pertaining to my Beaumont and Barnett families on the City Ark site that aren't on the LDS site.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters