Author Topic: Trying to find a marriage  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a marriage
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 07 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

John is down as son in the 1901 - maybe worth checking the BMDs. The older one most likely died if he is their son  :(

Did you check the BMD's for marriages in Northumberland 1865-6? As James was adamant about Coldstream, it seems most likely that it was irregular/common law though  :(

Tees - Coldstream is in Bewickshire  but right on the border. I've been through it many many times - has a lovely bridge but with a sharp bend  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 January 07 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Found the birth for John Junior in FreeBMD - Sept Qtr 1893 Glendale.

Would she have been a bit too old to have him though? She would have been 46 and one heck of a gap between him and Catherine 1878

Not sure if they died in Northumberland but should think they did. Would be fun trying to find James' death! Now how many Wallaces are there in Northumberland again? ??  lol

Found Agnes' birth - June Qtr 1847 Berwick so know that, at least, is her real name

Where is this darned marriage?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 January 07 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi CarolBurns & Gadget,

Carol--I vaguely recalled one of your posts regarding a son of an Irishman that kept changing his forename. Have you found him?? I hope so!

I am inclined to concur with Gadget regarding their "marriage." However, it is possible that they did not register but was married in a church?

Have any of their children ever baptised in any church? Worth a try to investiage this angle.

Happy you find these birth records on other people you recently managed to!  :)

No, it is not too old for a woman of 46 to have a child. You would be surprised how old women could bear children back then. Even with my granny and great granny!

Regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 January 07 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Carol and Gadget, for telling me where Coldstream is.

-Tees

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 January 07 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Tees - This James is the half brother of the man I was looking for so you can see why I am having so much trouble can't you? lol

Hugh Burns still cannot be found in any borth registers and neither can his parents marriage or his fathers death. So I am forever looking.

I thought I would try searching for the Wallace side and see what I can find. James is the only one who has married from hugh's 2 half brothers. The other one was John Wallace born 1840 in Lucker, Northumberland. Found his birth but nothing else. he disappears after the 1851 census. He is in Hilton / Heiton, Roxburgh with mother Agnes, brothers James (7yrs) and Wiliam (4yrs) and lodger Patrick (who later became Peter) Burns. In 1861 he can't be found.

I often wonder if this is my lesson here on earth - patience lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 January 07 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

I have female ancestors who had children later than 46 yrs old  :)

Female fertility does decline rapidly so you often find longer intervals. In many of my cases the longer gaps were because of infant mortality rather than reduced fertility - only discovered by detailed examination of records in between censuses.

Patience is supposed to be a virtue but  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 January 07 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I honestly do not think that I am destined to get very far with any of the families linked to the Burns clan  :-\

They cannot marry into any families with uncommon names can they? No they have to pick the most common names in the area and sit back laughing. They probably knew someone would come along and try and search and then they can all sit around sending out wrong leads

Wait till I get up there! I'll probably get a lot more done when I'm there than here  ;D

Thanks for your help anyway

Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 January 07 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Carol

That's really great coming from a Williams/Thomas, etc. and what about my Joneses  :) ::) ::) ::)

Don't be harsh on the poor wee bairns  ;)

Gadget  :D