Author Topic: Help with Hammonds of Maidstone?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Hammonds of Maidstone?
« on: Friday 05 January 07 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone please help me with the Hammonds?  I have a Ann Hammond, according to the IGI she was christened in Maidstone on 19 Oct 1798 to Edward and Mary Hammond.  However I can find no other record of this family, no marriage or other children.  However I have seen details of a Richard and Mary Hammond having quite a few children there.  Can anyone help me to prove one way or the othere if there ever was an Edward or could it just be an error and it should be a Richard?

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Hammonds of Maidstone?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 14:46 GMT (UK) »
elrowe,

Have you tracked Ann forward in the census to see if either of her parents might have been living or staying with her at some point?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine,

unfortunately, she was married prior to 1831, I have not found her on the 1841 census as yet and therefore non of her family prior to marriage. I have the 1851 and 61 census records but there are no leads that I have found there as yet either.  All I have found so far is a marriage for an Ann Hammond to a George Maynard in Tonbridge 1826.  The only Ann Hammond I could find from there on the IGI was in 1798 in Maidstone to a Edward and Mary, according to census records Ann was born in 1799.  I could find no other records for Edward and Mary anywhere, but there were records for a Richard and Mary.  Guess I am still stuck!  Thanks anyway.  Regards, Carol

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Carol,

Do you know for sure that you have the right person in 1851 and 1861 and did she marry someone named George Maynard?  (Just clarifying to make sure I understand your post correctly.)

I see that the marriage place on 2 July 1826.  Have you requested a look-up in the parish register?  I don't know if the register would have listed her father's name back then but it might be worth checking.

Can you list the details from 1851 and 1861, just in case someone might be able to help?  (If you think it's a good idea.)

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline elrowe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 07 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine,
Just to clarify...
John Strong married Mary Maynard a spinster, on 5 Oct 1853 in Hove.  Her farther was George Maynard.  Both the 1881  and 71 census state she was born in Tonbridge, Kent in 1831.
I can find no record of her on the 1861 census, although her father George 1805, Tonbridge, mother Ann 1798, Maidstone, sisters Anne, Elizabeth and Jane (widow) were there, now living in Hove, but born Tonbridge Kent.
The 1851 census lists Mary, 1831, her father George, mother Ann, brothers George and Henry and sister Elizabeth, same details as the previous census records. The igi lists a marriage of George Maynard to Ann Hammond, 2/7/ 1826 in Tonbridge.  So far... I feel this is all correct and ties in with everything.  So.... now I am trying to get a lead on the Hammonds.... as per the 1st topic.  Thanks for your help so far by the way.