Author Topic: new here and don't know where to start  (Read 1110 times)

Offline missyfirebird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
new here and don't know where to start
« on: Friday 05 January 07 17:15 GMT (UK) »
hi, i'm new here and i don't know where to start.
i have done some of my family but i am struggling on how to find details of ships and boats. one of my relatives was a captain of a ship and i don't know how to trace him plus his grandaughter was named after a ship and i can't find the details of the ship ship anywhere can some one give me tips on how to get started with these please.
thanx
missyfirebird

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: new here and don't know where to start
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 January 07 17:19 GMT (UK) »
As a starter (and I am sure others can add to this), you can check out trade directories for boat owners/masters, as long as you know where your boat captain antecedents lived. 

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

Good luck

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 January 07 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Firstly welcome to Rootschat.

Re the ships names ... a lot depends upon when this was - the national maritime museum may be able to assist (depending on where you are)
Have a look at http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/?search_word=lloyds+registers&Go=Go&change=SearchResults which has links to finding out information about various ships and their Captains.

Failing that, if you post the information here or on one of the other boards someone may be able to assist more directly

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 07 01:40 GMT (UK) »
welcome to rootschat missy,
                                               i think falkryn has put you on the right track, post as much info as you can here on rootschat & i am sure you will get a response, the more info you can post the easier it will be for others to help you, i promise you will not find a more helpful bunch than here on rootschat, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline missyfirebird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 January 07 19:20 GMT (UK) »
thanx guys,

i have already started to follow the links that you gave me

missyfirebird xx