Author Topic: 1758-ish Baptism in Mothvey  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1758-ish Baptism in Mothvey
« on: Saturday 06 January 07 10:06 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I'm looking for a connection between the wife of Theophilus Jones (author, History of Brecknockshire) and a distant 'twig' by marriage of a Brecon family. It just means that it might be more likely that what Theophilus wrote about the Brecon family was fairly accurate if he was related in some way.  I have found the following bits of info about his wife:

Mary, daughter of Rice Price Esq. of Porth-y-Rhyd in the County of Carmarthen ...

... his wife Mary died in 1828 aged 70 and was buried in the chancel of Myddfai Church, CMN, near her relatives.

I don't know if Porth-y-Rhyd is the village, or the name of a household (Porthyrhyd) that I've come across in Myddfai in 1841.

The person I'm trying to connect her to is:

Elizabeth Jenkin
m. 1st 1742: Edward Jones at Llandeilo'r-fan, Brecs (parents of Edward Jones, attorney, Llandovery)
m. 2nd 1754: Daniel Prytherch at Llandeilo'r-fan
m. 3rd 1758: Rees Price of Mothvey.

So ... is there a Mary Price, born c1758, Porthyrhyd/Mothvey to Rees/Rice Price and Elizabeth?

It's all very much of a long shot, and not critical to my family research. There are probably lots of Mary Prices which might fit the bill, but I'm very curious.

Many thanks
Koromo
:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Georgenoel

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1758-ish Baptism in Mothvey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 10 14:45 BST (UK) »

Hi

I'm looking for a connection between the wife of Theophilus Jones (author, History of Brecknockshire) and a distant 'twig' by marriage of a Brecon family. It just means that it might be more likely that what Theophilus wrote about the Brecon family was fairly accurate if he was related in some way.  I have found the following bits of info about his wife:

Mary, daughter of Rice Price Esq. of Porth-y-Rhyd in the County of Carmarthen ...

... his wife Mary died in 1828 aged 70 and was buried in the chancel of Myddfai Church, CMN, near her relatives.

I don't know if Porth-y-Rhyd is the village, or the name of a household (Porthyrhyd) that I've come across in Myddfai in 1841.

The person I'm trying to connect her to is:

Elizabeth Jenkin
m. 1st 1742: Edward Jones at Llandeilo'r-fan, Brecs (parents of Edward Jones, attorney, Llandovery)
m. 2nd 1754: Daniel Prytherch at Llandeilo'r-fan
m. 3rd 1758: Rees Price of Mothvey.

So ... is there a Mary Price, born c1758, Porthyrhyd/Mothvey to Rees/Rice Price and Elizabeth?

It's all very much of a long shot, and not critical to my family research. There are probably lots of Mary Prices which might fit the bill, but I'm very curious.

Many thanks
Koromo
:)
May be a bit late, but Porthyrhrd is a place. Mary Price was born at Myddfai, the daughter of Rees Price by his first marriage to Mary Williams, who was born in Llwyryrwormwood in 1758 and who died in 1828. Elizabeth Jenkin only features because Rees Price was her third husband, and they had a daughter Magdalan Price, born 1761 in Porthyrhrd, and who died in 1829 unmarried. She had been left a large legacy by her step-grand-father. Mary Price left several legacies to her mothers step-family. All the best. Noel

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 July 10 16:12 BST (UK) »

Hi Noel, and welcome to RootsChat.  :)

Theo JONES' book on the history of Breconshire included a brief pedigree for a POWELL family of Devynnock which included my 4x gr-grandmother (one of her brothers was Walter POWELL, solicitor of Brecon).  I was trying to establish if Theo JONES personally knew the family which would make the pedigree a bit more reliable.  I subsequently discovered that Walter POWELL was a witness to Theo JONES' will, so they definitely knew each other, in fact they lived/worked a few minutes walk from each other.

Walter POWELL married Ann PRYTHERCH, daughter of Elizabeth JENKINS/JONES/PRYTHERCH by her second marriage.  Elizabeth's third marriage to Rees PRICE whose daughter from a previous marriage then married Theophilus JONES sort of completes the circle, as it were … it is all so damn complicated!  However, I may have a date wrong.  You wouldn't by any chance know when Rees PRICE married Elizabeth JENKINS/JONES/PRYTHERCH, would you?

Thank you, too, for the info about Magdalen PRICE.  I had stumbled across her but didn't realise whose daughter she was, and now it all makes a bit of sense.

Regards
Koromo
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Gwyn Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 July 23 21:40 BST (UK) »
Edward Jones attorney was my great great great grandfather and I know the area well.Im trying to trace his family history as he was born in London and died at the neighbouring farm to the farm I was raised on.A y further information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gwyn