Author Topic: RootsChat Performance: how can we help ?  (Read 41217 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RootsChat Performance: how can we help ?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 April 07 08:43 BST (UK) »
If everyone was to comply with resizing their avatars that would help, we were asked some time ago on a thread to reduce them and there is no need for them to be very big.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 April 07 09:01 BST (UK) »

Yes Kerry - I quite agree about the avatars!  :)

Also, I seem to remember Gadget making a very valid suggestion with regard to the Photo Restoration board .. ..

Wouldn't it help, if after a certain amount of time and once the person had been given the opportunity to download, the photo's could all be resized to a manageable level?

I understand it would be a huge task for one person, also unfair on the moderators but couldn't the restorer's help out with this one?  :-\

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 April 07 09:03 BST (UK) »
I agree I am sure they must have more of an affect on the performance that smileys, surely.  (Not that I'm technically minded of course!)

Some of the photos on the photo board are 500kb big and if you multiply that by 6 lovely new copies, quite a big thread.

And I've noticed just lately the photo restoration board seems to be getting busier and busier. 

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 April 07 09:30 BST (UK) »
I have only just managed to post my avatar on the site.  I assumed (I expect quite wrongly) that it would only allow me to post the correct size.  Can someone tell me if there is anyway to check how big my avatar is?

Thanks

Cathy
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 April 07 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

If you right click on your avatar and look at properties, it will tell you the size. yours is pretty good - 5.2kb. It's smaller than mine at 5.9kb. Some of the gif (moving ones) are 33kb and more.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 April 07 09:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget.  It has taken me 12 months of frustrating attempts to get it loaded so I am very glad it is the correct size.  This is the first morning I have been on Rootschat where I am finding it very slow so would not want to be one of the 'causes' of this by too big a picture.

Cathy
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 19 April 07 09:44 BST (UK) »
I remember Berlin Bob saying that it was the number of different posters on a page that had an effect - e.g. if you and I had a conversation which took up a page,  it would only have to load our avatars once (similarly with smileys) but if 10 people each had a message, it would need to load all ten!

Your avatar is lovely  :)

Gadget

Added - i've just been looking at what people are/were doing during this slow down. it seems to me that there is a lot of variety and most people are 'active' rather than just looking at the Index Board
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 April 07 12:18 BST (UK) »
I was going to say at 11 am ish that the problems always seem to be (at least today) at the top of the hour, perhaps when people are logging on, but considering I have been pushed off the site for the last hour and 20 mins I revise that.  >:( >:(

Kerry

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 April 07 12:26 BST (UK) »

Guest  12:13:38 Viewing the board index of RootsChat.Com.
AN Other  12:13:31 Sending a message.
Guest  11:54:57 Viewing the board Devon.

How strange - like you Kerry I've been locked out for over an hour, but according to the online board, it appears RootsChat was only actually offline for approx 19 minutes?  ???

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk