Author Topic: RootsChat Performance: how can we help ?  (Read 41227 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RootsChat Performance: how can we help ?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 19 April 07 12:31 BST (UK) »
I somehow got back in at 11.47 am and then there were 39 guests and 47 users. I don't think we could do anything though. As soon as I tried to post on this thread I had a message saying something like 'Database error. If you see this message report to Moderator' but I couldn't because the next thing I knew I got the 'Rootschat is busy' message.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 19 April 07 12:40 BST (UK) »

The recent message board at the moment is showing no posts between 11.02 made by Janan and 12.18 made by paulr_1

Frances
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 19 April 07 12:50 BST (UK) »
I am glad I found this thread, because I thought it was my new computer!

I find it strange that it gets really slow - difficult to access in the evenings in my world - which is days 9-12 noon over there. I would have thought everyone was busy working. Do you all go to work and instantly log on to RC  ;D

I also wondered if the level of PMs would have anything to do with performance? I have hundreds - every so often I delete heaps and then I stop  - in case I need them!

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 19 April 07 12:51 BST (UK) »
Trish

I'm sure someone has told me in the past that PMs do cause problems but I can't remember.

Anyway you can always copy and paste them into Word which is what I do with important ones, then all the chatter I just delete regularly and remember to delete your sent ones too.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 19 April 07 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

You sound so organised to my disorganisation - I will try  :)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 19 April 07 12:58 BST (UK) »
Incidentally if you are using Firefox as your browser you can save the whole page by going to File and Save page as
Give it a name, save it in your files and it saves an html copy of the page with the messages, you can then delete them.

Kerry  ;D Who you calling organised,  ::)   I just learnt because I deleted the whole lot by mistake once!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 19 April 07 13:18 BST (UK) »
I've been having problems for a couple of weeks, either mid morning or mid evening usually.  Everything slows down and then stops, so I decide to log out and do something else and I can't even do that.  Yesterday and today when I tried to log out I got the Rootschat is busy message like Gadget.

I've just come in from the garden and had no problems accessing Rootschat.  I reckon, like Trish, that everyone goes to work and then instantly logs on.  I know loads of people who do that (not necessarily to Rootschat though).  I wonder when they do any work?

Liz

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 19 April 07 13:58 BST (UK) »
Trish

I'm sure someone has told me in the past that PMs do cause problems but I can't remember.

Anyway you can always copy and paste them into Word which is what I do with important ones, then all the chatter I just delete regularly and remember to delete your sent ones too.

Kerry

Storing Personal Messages is no great problem at all. Pasting them into Word though is not a bad idea for the ones that you want to keep a record of.

We had a lot of problems with the server this morning. We are monitoring it to see if the changes we have made will improved things over the next few hours. We actually need more memory in our server, but we are delaying it because our resources are limited.

I can only aplogise for the outages this morning.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 19 April 07 16:54 BST (UK) »
It is such a relief to find that it is not my computer!  My technical expert (eldest son) is water fighting in Thailand at the moment and is not due back until mid summer.  If this blessed machine collapses then I will be in a heap of trouble, and I would really miss Rootschat.

Cathy  :)
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk