Author Topic: Half brother/sister marriage?  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Bernice010

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'll think of something to put here eventually....
    • View Profile
Half brother/sister marriage?
« on: Saturday 06 January 07 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Richard Cockram b1829 West Anstey, Devon married Sarah Tout in 1857 at Hawkridge, Somerset. I have found 2 children, Jane b1859 at Hawkridge and Hannah b1860 at North Molton.

Richard's brother William married Sarah's sister Betsey Tout in 1862.

I'm assuming Sarah died shortly after giving birth to Hannah, as Richard married again in 1862 to Ann Baker. I haven't been able to find a death date for her yet. Richard and Ann had 5 children together, the second one called Richard and born c1862 at West Anstey.

In 1884 Richard Cockram b1862 married a Hannah Tout born c1861 North Molton at Neath, Glamorgan.

The problem I have is: I have found census records in 1861 & 1871 and also baptism record for Hannah COCKRAM b1860, but no records for Hannah TOUT in those years and no baptism for Tout in North Molton.

Do you think that as Hannah Cockram lived with her grandfather, James Tout she assumed he was her father? On the marriage certificate her father is given as James Tout deceased, carpenter. They could have met as Hannah's aunt Betsey married into the Cockram family?

Or, do you think they knew they were related, as they married at the register office in Neath while Richard's father was living at Llangeinor?
Cornwall: Werring.    Devon: Cockram, Cudmore, Folland, May, Piper.    Somerset: Dunn, Thomas.

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Half brother/sister marriage?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 January 07 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernice
Welcome to RootsChat.

I have found a Jane & Hannah Cockram in 1871 living with William & Ann Lock in Hawkbridge Somerset.
Are these the same as yours??
If so where is grandfather James Tout?

Fisherman
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline Bernice010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 January 07 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is them.  James Tout had passed away by then. 

On the 1841 census William Lock was boarding with James Tout, so I assume that when James passed away, William became Jane and Hannah's guardian.

What seems stranger is that in the 1871 census they are living at TOUTS Cottage, Hawkridge!
Cornwall: Werring.    Devon: Cockram, Cudmore, Folland, May, Piper.    Somerset: Dunn, Thomas.

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 07 22:07 GMT (UK) »
What makes you think that Hannah Tout & Hannah Cockram are the same person?  Might they be cousins?
Hannah Cockram obviously knows her suname in 1871 why should she marry using her mothers maiden name?  Have you any ideas?

Fisherman
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Richards in Breconshire

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 January 07 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Bernice,
Death: Sarah Cockram registered 1st Q South Molton Devon Vol 5b page 331

So you are right she died not long after Hannah's birth

Richards in Breconshire

Offline Bernice010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 07 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for finding Sarah's death for me.

I only really have a hunch that Hannah Tout and Hannah Cockram are the same person.  Just because of all the coincidences: they were  both born c1860 at North Molton, they both have a James Tout who is a carpenter as a relative.  I cannot find any census records for a Hannah Tout born c1860 and I cannot find either Hannah b1860 North Molton in the 1881 census anywhere.

Having looked at the 1871 census again and I see that James Tout was living next door to William Lock and is still alive in the 1881 census, so he must have died between 1881-1884.

I'm only assuming she changed her name as she knew her and Richard were siblings, therefore avoiding any awkward questions at the registry office?  Obviously I have no proof though, just hoping to get someone else's point of view.

Please check out my website for census and baptism information.