Author Topic: Charles Lyon and Jane Dixon Camberwell  (Read 1488 times)

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Lyon and Jane Dixon Camberwell
« on: Sunday 07 January 07 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi am new here and dont know where to start, I think I actually put this on a poll and not a question.  I am looking for any information on Charles Lyon born between 1811 and 1816 and in the 1851 census he was married to Jane Dixon and lived at 1 Acre Street Camberwell.  They had five children, George, William, Ester, Herbert and Charles my great grandfather.  I live in Australia and cannot get to Parish records so any information would be most welcome
Thanks
Chellin
PS Also any information on Jane would be most welcome, I know their daughter Ester must have come to Australia as she died in Queensland in 1913
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood
Botteriel

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Lyon and Jane Dixon Camberwell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 January 07 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chellin

Welcome to RootsChat - am sure it will help your research. Just a note - it is better not to post requests in multiple places - it can become confusing.

The only record I can find for your Charles in 1841 is this one - which makes one wonder if he was a widower & married Jane after 1841 - or else she was visiting somewhere else  ???

HO107/1065/11 folio 20 p 43 Nelson Road St Mary Newington
Charles Lyon 31 Milkman Y (born in parish)
George do 3  Y

Seems to be the same man as he was also a milkman in 1851

I will see if freeBDM has any births/deaths or marriages that may fit
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 07 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish
That is very interesting and thanks for telling me about posting lots of requests, I just thought the more I posted the more they would be seen, I wont do that anymore.
I think that is my Charles Lyon as being a milkman and in Camberwell is too much of a coincidence. 

Thanks so much for your help and time
Chellin
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood
Botteriel

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 07 06:48 GMT (UK) »
It appears son Charles may be living with his brother George in 1861 (but birthplace doesn't match exactly. There is a death for Jane Lyon in 1855 district Camberwell, but nothing I can see easily for Charles Snr. Does this match with your information?

Trish

PS - if you end up with a post in the wrong spot - the moderators usually move it  ;D  They are very nice folks - and most handy to have here  :)

I'm just having a look for your Qld link. If you go to the board "Emigrants to Australia" & look at the posts at the top of the board - you will see some references to emigration records online. You might find Ester among them

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 07 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Chellin

I surely didn't mean to confuse you - I meant multiple requests for the same thing!!  Do please posts thousands if you have lots of queries  :D - Look at how many posts some of us have - and they are not all answers - lots are questions!

Have you found the record for Esther and her husband George at the Toowong Cemetery?

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:STANDARD::pc=PC_899

Death index says Esther Hammond died 19 Sep 1913 ref 1913/B018201 father Charles Lyon, mother Jane

Trish

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 07 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Brisbane link I am going there on March the 8th so I will go and have a look, I have printed out where the grave is. I found out that Esther had come to Australia on Ancestry com as I was looking at the children of Charles to see if I could find out anymore information.  I have emailed a Hammond in Queensland to find out if they know more but havent had a reply as yet.
Seems funny that a great great aunt came here all those years ago and I came here in 1968 doesnt it.
Chellin
I wonder why Esther came here and what year??
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood
Botteriel

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 January 07 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find any children born to Esther in Brisbane - nor a marriage. It might be worthwhile checking another state.

If you are visiting Toowong Cemetery - I suggest in the morning - I can't remember the hours there is someone in the office but I know they are there in the mornings - lovely helpful folks - they can give you a printout of the surrounding graves, so if you can't find yours (or it is unmarked) this can be a great help. You can also check the memorial inscriptions in the small museum behind the office - can be handy if anything on the grave is illegible. Your graves are not too far from the office. If you have time, it is worth driving up to the top (some folks do walk - but not myself  :)  ) it is a lovely peaceful place & wonderful views as well.

Trish

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 January 07 08:39 GMT (UK) »
If you are in Brisbane for long - you can go to the State Library (Southbank) and look up the Courier Mail for funeral notices for Esther & her husband. This may give you information in regard to any children she may have had. The archives at Runcorn may have immigration information - if she came into Queensland. The library probably has copies of some of these records as well.

Trish

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 07 08:48 GMT (UK) »
They had two children before they came to Australia, Albert Charles Hammond born 3rd April 1864 and married Jane May and died 18th June 1955 and Tim Digby Hammond born 23rd October 1891 and died 1st Oct 1955 he married Asrtid Pauline Erikson.
I wonder why they came here I must try and find out.
I will take all your advise when I visit there thanks for that
I take it you have been there
Chellin
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood