Author Topic: Tailors - How did they live and work?  (Read 39533 times)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tailors - How did they live and work?
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 00:49 GMT (UK) »
http://www.ancestry.com/learn/facts/

If you type in the surname Levitt, and select "Name Meanings", you will get info on both the Jewish and non-Jewish origins of the name.
This won't resolve anything for you!, but may provide clues for later on.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Loo,
I have had LEVETT o some entries, but just poor listening/writing skills I think.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 11:24 GMT (UK) »
A small piece of an article I have says.   The tailor sitting in his window on his table  , saw most of what went on, and vied with the shoe maker as purveyor of local news. His shop was reasonably warm too, as his iron was always heated ready for use. The tailor sat cross - legged on the table for several reasons, to keep his work clean, to have his material at hand, and to lay his pressing board across his knees.  his pressing board was called a donkey, this was for doing seams and sleeves, the iron was called the goose, before the days of gas it was heated on an open fire, or else had its own little charcoal heater.  the article has lots more plus names, but I am worried about crossing the copy right thing.   The article was printed in 1966  and tailors who were in their 80s were interviewed, so first hand imformation, as they say.      Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 15:38 GMT (UK) »
A small piece of an article I have says. The tailor sitting in his window on his table , saw most of what went on, and vied with the shoe maker as purveyor of local news. His shop was reasonably warm too, as his iron was always heated ready for use. The tailor sat cross - legged on the table for several reasons, to keep his work clean, to have his material at hand, and to lay his pressing board across his knees. his pressing board was called a donkey, this was for doing seams and sleeves, the iron was called the goose, before the days of gas it was heated on an open fire, or else had its own little charcoal heater. the article has lots more plus names, but I am worried about crossing the copy right thing. The article was printed in 1966 and tailors who were in their 80s were interviewed, so first hand imformation, as they say. Eilleen.

Interesting to note the relationship between tailors and shoemakers. My ggg grandfather (a tailor) eldest son was a tailor but later in life turned to shoemaking.

Can you provide us with the title of the article? Do you know if it can be found on the web anywhere?

yn9man

Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 15:54 GMT (UK) »
The article was in   " Lincolnshire Life " in 1966.    Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Eilleen -

Thanks will try and find the article on the web.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Eilleen - thanks for the extract - very interesting.

yn9man - Guess you've found this out already but just in case, I've had a look for the article. The archive on the Lincolnshire Life web site only goes back a couple of years. I have emailed them to ask if it's possible to buy a copy of the article. Will let you know if they get back to me.

Loo - Had a look at the name meanings, thanks - it kind of leaves my Jewish/non-Jewish options open. I think I need to check whether the addresses are in predominantly Jewish areas.

Cheers
Bev
Sharman - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Levitt - Lancashire, Middlesex, London, Yorkshire
Butler - Shorpshire/Flintshire
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 25 January 07 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Bev, I was just going through this thread again, and I don't think you told us the forenames of the Levitts.  That might give a big clue as to whether they were Jewish or not.  It wouldn't prove that they weren't, but it might virtually confirm if they were.  If you want to post them or PM them, I will tell you if I think they were.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Bev Duckworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 25 January 07 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Loo,

The forenames don't sound Jewish to me but then, I'm no expert.

They are :

William b approx 1788 married Ann, both from Westminster, Middlesex with children William (tailor, b1818), Mary(1828), Sarah(1828), Martha(Dressmaker, b1832). Probably more offspring but not found them yet.

Then William (1818) married Ann Faith and had children ...
Jane (tailor, b1840), William(1841),  Ann(tailor, b1847), Mary (tailor, b1849), Martha(domestic, b1851), George (stuff warehouse boy,b1855), Thomas (stuff warehouse boy, b1857), Charles (traveller then unionist registration agent !!, b1859), Betsy (1862)
It is this family that moved around between Yorkshire and Middlesex.

Ann Faith's parents (William and Jane) were both Tailors from Stockton, Durham.

As I said, names don't seem Jewish.
But when I looked at the surname on the link you posted, Levitt is either Jewish (Levy derivative) or English (Leavitt derivative).
But there were not many Leavitt families in England and they showed no tendancy toward being tailors.
Whereas Levit/Levitt/Levy is much more common (especially Levy) and clearly a lot of tailors.

So - the jury is out !
Any ideas much appreciated.
Cheers
Bev 
Sharman - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Levitt - Lancashire, Middlesex, London, Yorkshire
Butler - Shorpshire/Flintshire
Wilkinson - Yorkshire
Benson - Lancashire
Cartmell - Lancashire
Gillett - Lancashire