Author Topic: Irish roots help...  (Read 1486 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Irish roots help...
« on: Sunday 07 January 07 11:28 GMT (UK) »
I've been very successful with tracing the English maternal side of my tree, and I'd like to focus more on my Paternal side.  My father was born in Ireland in 1945 and moved to England when he was 9.  Both his parents were Irish.  I do not have their wedding certificate so I guess my first question is... where can I obtain it from?  I'm sure it would have been in the Dublin area as dad and all of his siblings were born 'in the baskin'.  All the family moved here beteween the 1940's and 1950's and all my aunts and uncles are (or were until they passed away) quite local.  I sent a letter to an aunt before christmas but due to silly family quarrels she refused to get in contact with me.

I've tried researching the surnames I know, but whilst O'Driscoll is an easy name to gather historoical information about, I can rarely find anything on the name 'Henvy' (have tried variations - heanvy, henvey, heanvey). 

Could anyone offer me any advice or tips?  I do have cousins living in Dublin that I am fairly close to who I'd be able to ask to do research and what not for me I think at least. 

Apologies if I'm not meant to post something like this in this forum, was unsure! 

Jemma
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline Marie M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Irish roots help...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 January 07 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Is the Baskin Malahide?

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 07 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is, and that is where my irish cousins now live. 

Beautiful place malahide is!
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 07 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gemma

You've no doubt tried the links at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,152272.0.html ?

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marie M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 07 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I would start with the relations first.  Ask them everything you can.  If you can get a close timescale on  things then getting certs from the general registers office (link as per previous post) should be easy enough. Best of luck.

(The Dublin section here may be of more help in future)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 January 07 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gemma

My husband has Henvys on his side.  They came over to Whitehaven, Cumbria just after 1841.  William (Head) was a shoemaker.  There are a couple of other Henvy/Henrys, but I haven't definitely excluded or included them yet.  They could have come over to join William.  The heads of family are of similar ages.  It hasn't said on any of the censuses which part of Ireland our Henvys/Henrys are from, but the others are from Sligo, and Down. 

This made me think that maybe they aren't connected, but I've kept their details just in case.

I don't know if that's any use.  William's daughter Sarah married my husband's gr gr grandfather.

Regards

Rosemary