Author Topic: Newspapers in Yate/South Glous  (Read 4008 times)

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
Newspapers in Yate/South Glous
« on: Monday 08 January 07 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Are the back copies of local papers from the Yate/South Glous area available at any local libraries or record office? I am trying to find an inquest report from the 1960's but don't really want to travel to the National Newspaper Archives so does anyone know if I could get hold of the papers locally?

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspapers in Yate/South Glous
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 07 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean local to you, or local to Yate?

I believe Thornbury library has quite a good family history section, including newspapers.

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/LeisureAndSport/Libraries/IndividualLibraries/ThornburyLibrary.htm

Not sure whether Yate library does have newspapers that old

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/LeisureAndSport/Libraries/IndividualLibraries/Yate+Library.htm

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 07 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks arranroots, I will email thornbury library and see what areas the thornbury gazette covers and what records they hold.

acceber

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 January 07 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you've already got it sorted but -

Yate also has a Heritage Centre http://www.yateonline.co.uk/heritage/heritage.htm

and a Family History Group and Historical Society - links on same page.

If you need anyone to go in person to a library and have a look do send me a pm - particularly if its in Yate itself.

Good luck  :)
Croydon, Surrey - KENT, SKILTON, BESLEY, HIGGS
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE
Shropshire/Denbighshire/Montgomershire  - FRANCIS, LLOYD
Staffordshire - TOOTH, DEVALL

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 January 07 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer Lemmey, I will send the respective libraries Thornbury and Yate an email and see what they say. I will also email the heritage centre and see if they have any information on my maternal family as my grandfather and mother were both born in Yate and some family still live there but I would be interested to see what they hold, and pop in some time over easter!

Thanks once again

acceber

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 07 17:58 GMT (UK) »
The PRO in Gloster now hold Micro Film of old Gloucestershire newspapers. They used to be in Gloster library. Thornbury if my memory serves me correct do not hold old news papers.

Alf