Author Topic: Where is Havannah?  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Where is Havannah?
« on: Monday 08 January 07 23:21 GMT (UK) »
The christening entry for my great(x3)-grandma in 1805 says her mother was Anne Wild, native of Tanfield.  Anne was married in 1797.

Was Tanfield in the Lanchester parish during the 18th century?  I've been operating on that assumption and have found an Ann Wild christened in Lanchester All Saints in 1775 which is early enough to realistically be her.  However the entry says she's from a place called Havannah.  I can't find Havannah on any of the usual online maps.  Does anyone know how far/near it is to Tanfield?  I'm just wondering whether I'm on the right track.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Havannah?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 07 23:38 GMT (UK) »
hi silverhawk,
                   Iv'e googled Havannah+Durham and it's come up with North Durham Constituences,and Havannah is there.(Wikipedia),,
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 14:06 GMT (UK) »
   In the booklet - 'Durham Places In The Mid-Nineteenth Century', it has:-

Name            Sheet No.        Quarter            Township

Havanah        12                    SW                    Kyo (det.2)
Havannah      07                    SW                    Washington

If it is the one near Tanfield, the the spelling is Havanah
 I believe Durham Records Office hold the map.

Stan

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping it's near Tanfield, but I really have no idea.  The entry spelled it with two Ns, but I can't imagine why a family in the Washington parish would hike across to Lanchester.

So it's somewhere in the vicinity of Kyo then?  Would you say that's close enough for someone to say they were from Tanfield when their kid was christened?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 17:13 GMT (UK) »
The Havannah near Washington is still there and is just a farm. If the one in the Stanley/Kyo area is just a farm then they could say they were from the nearest village which could have been Tanfield. At the end of the Eighteenth century the area would be very different to what it was later with the development of the coal mines and the expansion of the built up areas.
Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Found It! It was between Beamish Street and Scott Street in Stanley which used to be Front Street, before the bypass was built. It was swallowed up in the rapid expansion of Stanley in the late 19th century.
Stan

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 January 07 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I gave this info to one of the staff at County Hall and she found a 19th century map of the area for me.  I got a nice A3 copy of it, centred on Havanah.  Many thanks for finding it :)

I've since been able to confirm that this Ann is indeed my great(x4)-grandma.  She was the fifth child (third daughter) of John Wild and Margaret Curry.

Offline erndeb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 October 08 20:07 BST (UK) »
hi there ref your havannah not a clue ref your wild connection i have a distant connection with the wilds anthony birth 1785 married isabella surtees 1809 would you know anthonys ancesters thanks ...ernie