Author Topic: Les Saintes Maries-de-la-Mer  (Read 1907 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Les Saintes Maries-de-la-Mer
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 April 07 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have no Romany roots, that I know of, but I have been to Les Saintes Maries de la Mer for the festival. It was one of the most spectacular and memorable days ever with gypsy families gathering from all over Europe to watch the procession of the saints through the streets and the final mass gathering on the beach whilst the bearers took the effigies into the sea.

One of the things I remember most clearly - it is about twelve years since I was there - was the extraordinary beauty of the people, from the truly lovely young girls and  their mothers and grandmothers, who seemed to age in a way which left me green with envy, to the men who became more strikingly handsome as they got older. The costumes they wore for this occasion were quite stunning, probably seeming all the more so because of the Mediterranean blue sky and sunshine.

After the official ceremonies, which were extremely moving, we wandered back through the town to where we had left our car. On the way, in one of the bars, some of the gypsy families were playing music and singing their traditional songs. We very much wanted to stay but felt that it would have been intrusive so, reluctantly, we left.

We have been back to the town and to other bits of the Camargue region but never to the festival. It is on my list of things to do! If you get a chance - don't miss it.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson