Author Topic: Can anyone help with the DODDS family from Glasserton ?  (Read 7575 times)

Offline debi-robo

• RootsChat Extra
  • From one little nut grew the mighty oak tree
    • View Profile
Can anyone help with the DODDS family from Glasserton ?
« on: Tuesday 09 January 07 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I just recently discovered this branch of my family and was wondering if anyone else can connect to it.

Marion (marrion/marron) Morrisson and John Dodds married About 1810, Glasserton, Wigtown (no marriage record)

Marion Dodds, nee Morrison born About 1790, Glasserton, Wigtown, Father possibly Alexander Morrison (no birth record)

John Dodds born about 1785 Ireland (no birth record)

Children of Marion and John Dodds

Extracted entry's from IGI
(Batch Number C118852)

-John Dodds, Chnd. 14 Aug 1809
-John Dodds, Chnd. 3 May 1810
-Margaret Hannay Dodds, Chnd. 5 Aug 1811
-Agnes Dodds, Chnd. 24 Mar 1812
-Thomas Dodds, Chnd. 2 May 1814
-Margaret Dodds, Chnd. 7 Aug 1816
-Ann Dodds, Chnd. 1 June 1819

(Batch Number C118854)

-James Dodds, b. 3 May 1810
-Ann Dodds, b. 1818
-John Dodds, b. 25 July 1821
-Elizabeth Dodds, b. 6 July 1823
-Elisabeth Dodds, Chnd. 12 Jan 1825
-Marrion Dodds, b. 23 Oct 1825
-Robina Dodds, Chnd. 5 Apr 1831
-Marion Dodds, Chnd. 15 Aug 1835

Submitted Entry
(File Number 458100)

-William Dodds, Chnd. 22 Feb 1823

I am confused because there is a birth entry for James Dodds (C118854) on 3 May 1810 and there is also a Christening entry for a John Dodds on 3 May 1810 (C118852). Both of these entry's are extracted so therefore should be reliable however it seems strange to me that they would have one son christened on the day that the mother gave birth to another son.

Is it possible that it is the same son ?

Also, Is the 2 entry's for Ann Dodds; born 1818, christened 1 June 1819, for the same daughter or was their possibly 2 Ann's born within a year of one another ?

Same again for Eli(z)abeth b. 6 July 1823 and Eli(s)abeth chnd. 12 Jan 1825, 2 daughters or 1 daughter christened late ?

I do have the family on the 1841 census and the 1851 census but there is a lot of difference's in their ages so that doesn't help much.

1841 Census, Glasserton, Wigtownshire (Freecen)
Address - Drumrae
John Dodds, M, 50, Farmer, b. Ireland
Murren Dodds, F, 45,          ,b. Ireland
William Dodds, M, 11,         , b. Wigtownshire
Rubina Dodds, F, 10,          , b. Wigtownshire
Mary Dodds, F, 5,               ,b. Wigtownshire

1851 Census,Glasserton, Wigtownshire (www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx)
Address - Bloody Moss Croft
John Dodds, Head, 64, Married, Farmer of 400 acres, b. Ireland
Marion Dodds, Wife, 60, Married,                               , b. Glasserton, Wigtownshire
Mary Dodds, Daughter, 35, Unmarried,                      , b. Glasserton, Wigtownshire
Alexander Morrison, Visitor, 92, Widower, Pauper/ Labourer , b. Mochrum, Wigtownshire

1851 Census, Glasserton, Wigtownshire (www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx)
Address - Larroch
Robinna Dodds, Servant, 19, Unmarried, Servant in david dalziel household, b. Glasserton, Wig.

1851 Census, Whithorn, Wigtownshire (www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx)
Address - Main St
Mary Dodds, Servant, 21, Unmarried, Servant in Jacobina McMillan household, b. Glasserton, Wig.

1861 Census, Glasserton, Wigtownshire (www.ancestry.co.uk)
Address - Drumrae Farm House
Rabenno Dodds, Servant, 25, Domestic servant, b. Whithorn, Wigtownshire

1861 Census, Sorbie, Wigtownshire (www,ancestry.co.uk)
Address - 1 Barledzew Cottage
Marrion Dodds, Head, 72, Pauper formerly Farmer's wife, b. Glasserton, Wigtownshire
Jane Dodds, 13
Thomas Dodds, 9
William McCulloch, 9
Mary McCulloch, 9

Unfortunately, i do not have the individual entry's for the children in Marion's houshold (1861) but i believe they may be grandchildren as my GGGG Grandmother Marion Dodds (chnd. 15 Aug 1835) married James McCulloch (3 Mar 1854, Kilmarnock).
However, i have been unable to find any birth entry's for these kids.

As you can see i have quite a few gap's to fill here, i would love to hear from anyone else who may be descended from these Dodds.
I would also appreciate any suggesions any one could give me.

Thankyou,
Debbie
ROBERTSON/ TRACEY/ MCKELVIE/ SUTHERLAND/ GARDNER/ IMRIE
KANE/ MCGEOWN/ MALONE/ MCCULLOCH/ MCDOUGALL/ FERGUSON

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help with the DODDS family from Glasserton ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie  :)

Answering one point at a time :
I am confused because there is a birth entry for James Dodds (C118854) on 3 May 1810 and there is also a Christening entry for a John Dodds on 3 May 1810 (C118852). Both of these entry's are extracted so therefore should be reliable however it seems strange to me that they would have one son christened on the day that the mother gave birth to another son.

This is quite possible, especially if they lived in a remote area. The minister might have been called in (or the child taken to the minister at a known meeting place)  because the baby was not to well, for example. As James was being babtised, John would have been also if they thought that he hadn't been before.

Second point - Ann is quite possibly the same child but not enough information here - what was the birth-baptism  interval?

Third point - Elizabeth - the gap seems quite long but it is possible that she might be the same child. Again, not enough evidence unless you can find an earlier baptism.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline debi-robo

• RootsChat Extra
  • From one little nut grew the mighty oak tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

The idea of both kids being baptized at the same time had occurred to me, however, there is no baptism record for James only a birth entry.

The only children that seem to have both birth and baptism entry's are Ann and Elizabeth and like yourself i did think the gap was a bit large.

Most of the children are baptism entry's.
Do you think it is possible that birth entry's are for children that died soon after birth, therefore not having had the chance to be baptized.
I know it was quite common to name the next child after the previous deceased one.

Thank you for taking the time to read my VERY long post, i appreciate all input, a fresh look at things nearly always works wonders.

Debbie
ROBERTSON/ TRACEY/ MCKELVIE/ SUTHERLAND/ GARDNER/ IMRIE
KANE/ MCGEOWN/ MALONE/ MCCULLOCH/ MCDOUGALL/ FERGUSON

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie

I assume that you took these from the IGI extraction of OPRs. The only real way to check about the birth/baptism conundrum is to look at the actual entries - either my ordering via Scotland's People or by viewing them in Edinburgh.

The entries in the OPRs are babtism dates with the birth date added if known or if the minister/clerk knew it/remembered to add it.

I'll check out these on the SP site, if you like.

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 15:04 GMT (UK) »
The SP have three entries 1809 -1811, Glasserton with parents John Dodds and Marion Morrison:

14 Aug 1809 - John
3 May 1810 - John
3 May 1810 - James

They're all on the same page so I would assume that James was baptised on the day he was born and John was possibly  baptised at 9 months.

These are entries form the baptismal records but i think to be sure, I'd want to look at the originals.

Regards

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Marion Dodd, nee Morisson (widow of John Dodds) died 7 December 1867. Glasserton, aged 71. Cause - bronchitis - 2 weeks. Informant Mary Mc?Earlie, daughter.

Parents shown as James Morison (shepherd) deceased and Mary, m.s. Cullen.

Ref - 885 page 20

It does not show her mother as deceased but if Marion was 71, it's likely.

I haven't been able to find a death for John.

Regards

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 15:24 GMT (UK) »
John Dodds, small farmer, died 13 June 1858, Ravenstone, Glasserton, aged 73. Cause - disease of the heart.

No parents names entered. Informant - James ???, grandson.

Ref 885 page 14.

Gadget   -wintery showers in the Highlands - line going  :(

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Here's the signature of John's grandson. I can't make out the surname:

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly there are no banns/marriages for Dodds 1825-1854 in Glasserton. Maybe common law marriages  ???

I was trying to find the Mary Mc?Earlie - a census check maybe needed Debbie.

Gadget