Author Topic: Holme, WRY Parish places plotted on Google earth  (Read 1198 times)

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holme, WRY Parish places plotted on Google earth
« on: Wednesday 10 January 07 06:11 GMT (UK) »
I suppose some of you will have thought of this already.

You can stick pins in a google earth map corresponding to 1851 maps or other and then manipulate the google maps view to get a 3d perspective.

If people with "Local Knowledge" did this it might be helpful to post them for others as well as themselves

In the end you can see a view such as this which shows hamlets which were deserted by order to preserve the water purity of the reservoir catchment. They were all uninhabited by the 1930s

If you want to look at my unfinished work: rename the .txt file to .kmz and load it in google earth. You can then manipulate the landscap, zoom in on some of the uninhabited locations I have labelled - see the outline in the fields where the remains of the houses were.

The view also revealed something interesting to me. All the hamlets around the valley seem to be at a similar elevation. My theory is they were established there because is The spring line - where wells with fresh water could. be constructed. Note also the huge triangular field in the middle of the hamlets. Could be a remaining "common" land; as its larger than a comparable field in the area

Offline bigcol

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Holme, WRY Parish places plotted on Google earth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant!

Thanks for the tip, drodgers

Colin

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 21:13 GMT (UK) »

I have only recently downloaded Google earth, I'm going to have a look now!!

Thankyou!  :) :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rbangorreg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 January 07 09:26 GMT (UK) »
  Great ,will download Google Earth ,Thanks for the information.
      reg.
ThaiThyme

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 07 16:01 GMT (UK) »
How did you overlay the 1851 details?  Did you add them manually from an 1851 map?

~ Claire
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 February 07 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire, Its me, Dale !

Yes I 'found' all the places on the 1850s map (old-maps-co.uk) and placed them on google manually.

old-maps is great but short of printing them all out and marking on the locations it's hard to remember - the google thing is a handy reference.

just reneme the attached file to My holme valley places.kmz and load up google earth then load up the kmz file - you can zoom pan and travel to your hearts desire !

PS I do actually know most of these locations - I will visit holme in june/july on my visit this year !