Author Topic: Bard  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Bard
« on: Wednesday 10 January 07 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Trying to locate Owen Roberts (the bard Caerwyn). The only clue as to his birthplace - in 1870/71 - is this quote from a manuscript: "Ganed yng Nghynwyd ger Corwen." and "Treuliodd y rhan helaethaf o'i oes yn Llangefni ac yno y bu farw Hydref 1 1959, yn 88 oed."
To my eternal shame (and that of my family) I cannot speak Welsh, and can only treanslate with difficulty/
Any help gratefully received.
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: Bard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 12:31 GMT (UK) »
The quotes translate as "born in Cynwyd, near Corwen" and "He spent the greater part of his life in Llangefni and died there on October 1 1959, aged 88."

Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Following on from what Gareth said,the 1881 Census shows he could have been the son of an Ellis Roberts born in Llandrillo in c 1832 and his Wife Ruth born in Cynwyd in c 1840.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys.
You have pointed me the right way.

Regards

Bradley

Offline mred

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 07 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My mother was brought up in Berwyn, Llangefni by her grandfather, Caerwyn, and we're close to going to print with a biography. Do you descend from Caerwyn, or perhaps from his half sister, Kate Blower of Ellesmere? I've been tracing some of her descendants, and have family photos.

Caerwyn's parents were indeed Ellis Roberts & Ruth (Davies), his grandparents being Robert & Jane Roberts of Llystyn, Cwm Pennant, Llandrillo yn Edeirnion, and Hugh Davies & Sarah Williams (unmarried) of Llangar. Ellis married 1stly Pirah Jones, probably from Clocaenog, who was Kate's mother.

Mred,
Bangor.

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 07 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi mred,

I'm not related to Caerwyn, but (strangely enough) am just completing a biography of my grandfather, the Victorian/Edwardian composer John Henry Roberts, the bard Pencerdd Gwynedd 1848-1924.

In the list of his music, many of the tunes have "words by ....." and some of the tunes have words attributed to Caerwyn.

I am just trying to flesh out the bones of Caerwyn, and would be grateful for anything you have on him - words, eisteddfordau appearances etc. where he lived, and date of death burial etc.

Sorry for the long list of requests - best of luck with your biography.

Regards

Quarryman