Author Topic: Re: RC Glasgow Meet 13th-14th October 2007 - P & O  (Read 31064 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: RC Meets - any feedback from previous events and Scottish helpers,please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 January 07 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Paul, that's very helpful - good points to chew on.  :)

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 January 07 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Thanks Paul - Glasgow Central is just not very interesting (all Tie rack thingies, etc.) which was why I thought that Peoples Palace was a better bet!

G
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 January 07 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Avoid the Mongolian restaurant if there are any veggies in the group!

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: RC Meets - any feedback and helpers for Scottish 2007 meet, please
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 January 07 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Just a posting to make sure I keep on top of the plans for the Meet.  :)
Looking forward to seeing what you are all planning for me  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, Gadget et al, if you have any jobs for me, just let me know.  I like feeling needed   ;)

Cheers
Prue in a very hot NSW

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 January 07 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Blimey - there's loads to see and do

People's Palace in Glasgow encapsulates most of Glasgow history bed recesses, mining etc and even Lullu's clothes and Carole Smillie's shoes!

But if anyone looking for weavers round Paisley let me know know cos that's where I'm form and loads of things to see (including 'live loom'in Pailsey museum) but not always open so I'd need to check (joebhoy ditto with Kilbarchan weavers stuff).

Also Clyde ship building museum if anyone has rellies who may have worked there.

or maybe just a wander down Sauchiehall St ?

Loads there to see so we need a plan!

If folks want weavers then transport required so we must plan (our car not that big!)

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 January 07 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Gadget / Julian -

Just stopped in to view the continued post re the Scottish meet. Do you have any idea on when you will be able to "firm up" the date(s) for the meet? Just trying to plan ahead if at allpossible.

Thanks to both of you again for your administrivia efforts. Let me know if you need any assistance.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 January 07 07:25 GMT (UK) »

For everyone arriving at the airport, there is a direct bus link from airport to city centre.

In Glasgow the bus terminates at Buchanan Bus Station. The key stops on the way are adjacent to Central and Queen Street Station and George Square.

http://www.edinburgh-hotels-toolkit.com/travel/glasgow_airport_bus.htm

Pels  :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 January 07 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Also just posting to keep track of what's going on!  People' palace sounds interesting, although Carol Smilie's shoes  :o

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 15 January 07 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for the latests ideas, comments and suggestions.

I'd like to assure you all that, behind the scenes, Julian and I are getting our heads together and looking at various options/possibilities. We are basing our timings on those from the Manchester meet - i.e. gather together from 10am on the Saturday with the possibility of taking in the Sunday morning as well.

When Pam has her course timetable, a firm date can be made.

I have been looking at my own collection of historic street maps of Glasgow - the earliest is from the 1960s and the latest is about 2 years old  :) If we are concentrating on  central Glasgow, there are 3 main areas -

1. The old town and Glasgow Green- St Mungos, People's Palace, etc.

2. The central area - Central Station and the Argyll St Arch, The Lighthouse (views over Glasgow from  Macintosh Tower),  Bath Street, Sauchiehall St, Tenement House, etc.

3 Kelvingrove

I've not listed all the possibilities in these areas - there are links on a number of the previous messages and on the other thread.

City Tours, open buses appear to connect all these places - an £8 ticket is valid for 2 consecutive days and can be used as often as needed.

The Riverbus to Braehead and back costs £7.50 return.

We need someone to suss out possible lunch and supper venues - maybe 20-30 people attending.

Think that's my latest summary  :)

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***