Author Topic: CARROLL: marriage, birth, & emigration, 1870-1880  (Read 1461 times)

Offline tucson mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CARROLL: marriage, birth, & emigration, 1870-1880
« on: Thursday 11 January 07 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Well, this looks like it should be an easy one, but I'm not having any luck.

The 1880 U.S. Federal Census for New York City lists Henry Carroll, age 32, his wife Fanny, 25, and their 1-year-old son Henry. It says all three were born in Ireland, though not where in Ireland.

This would seem to mean they married in Ireland after 1870, where their son was born about 1878-79, and then went to the US in 1879-80. So I can look for marriage, birth, and passenger records, all within a fairly narrow time frame.

But I find nothing in the IGI at familysearch.org, or in passenger lists at ancestry.com.  I've read the links for Irish resources here, but not found anything. Am I overlooking something? Or is Irish genealogy always this hard?

Mike Carroll
Ireland:
Down & Antrim: Crilly, Patterson, O'Kane, McGrath
Westmeath & Offaly (Fearboy): Stones & Maguire
Waterford: Anna Cleary, born about 1862, emigrated to US before 1880.
England:
Liverpool: Fogarty & Patterson, 1906.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CARROLL: marriage, birth, & emigration, 1870-1880
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

What you should do is to start with the death certificates on Henry Carroll Sr and his wife Fanny to see what their parents' names and hopefully, it lists full date of birth dates & full birthplace (not Ireland).

Also, you can work backward from Henry junior's marriage cert and death cert as the certificates in this country are very informative than our British/Irish counterparts (the reason I said British because at that time, Ireland was part of the UK).

As to pinpoint when & where Henry jr was born, the best thing we can do is try to find your family in 1900 Census--it will tell which month and year he was born in and it also will list how long his parents were married (in this case, his parents may had married one or two years before Henry jr was born).

In 1930 Census, the census will tell you where Henry jr and his parents (hopefully they are still alive) were born in Ireland (Free Irish State (South) or Northern Ireland).

Another way to find out where he was born, try and see if he was naturalised as a US Citizen--if so, it may be very useful as you can find his birthplace and date of birth on his application UNLESS he was naturalised with his parents.

I am hoping it was after 1906 as the applications were very detailed and contains a lot of useful genealogical data!

Hope this gives you some ideas where to start looking further on your Carrolls. Before I forget, please keep eye on any possible varients on Carroll's spellings because one or two may be yours!!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Or you can try this website: www.familyulster.com and request a look up in the 1878 and 1879 Birth Indexes.

Ask for all Henry Carrolls in Ireland (also, be sure to point out that you are not sure about possible varients of spelling on the surname). (Do not name any county! as we do not know where he was born.)

OR

Ask for Henry Carroll to Fanny (or Frances) Unknown Surname marriages in the 1876/1878/1879 Marriages Indexes.

Only one pound (about 2 dollars) per year to look up!

I, myself, would prefer to start with the certificates in the USA as it will enable you to determine who was his mother then finding the marriage in Ireland should be relatively painless!

Always start backward from the death certificates so you can find out who's who.

Kind regards,

Tees

PS Please be aware that not all the births/marriages/deaths were registered!

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Here is a very useful website:

http://www.italiangen.org/

You can find naturalization papers and birth/marriage/death certificate numbers from NYC.

Hope this help you a bit! Saw there are few Fanny Carroll deaths and too many Henry Carrolls (hope you know when roughly he died).

Kind regards,

Tees