Author Topic: Albert Horton  (Read 2325 times)

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Horton
« on: Thursday 11 January 07 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi am looking for my husbands grandfather Albert Horton.

His eldest daughter was born in 1926 so I think he would have been born around 1900 or so.  He lived in Lambeth all his life.  I know he was a soldier but I dont know if it was the first world war, I think it might have been.

Any help will be appreciated

Chellin2
PS I know his family went hop picking
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood
Botteriel

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Horton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 January 07 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you have the eldest daughters birth certificate ? That would give both parents names, you could then search for their marriage or do you have that? Also you could try and search for Albert's birth, which again would give his parents names and where he was born.

I can see quite a few Albert Horton on the 1901 census, but unable to confirm which is yours without his parents names.

Let us know what you can dig out I am sure someone will be able to help.

Jane

LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 January 07 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Chellin

There are four Albert HORTONs born in Lambeth 1903 +/- 5 years, but all of them have other names - this could help you a great deal, if you know whether your Albert had other names. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/013q/

Do you know when he died?  That could also help you to work out when he was born.

If the family took seasonal work, such as hop-picking, there is a small possibility that they were not in Lambeth during the census.  They might also have been away from home when Albert was born, depending on the time of year.

As Jane suggests, certificates will help, but try to gather as much info as you can about his life and you might be able to narrow the field a little.

Oh, and if you have any pictures of him in uniform, you could post on the Armed Forces board where the experts might be able to identify the regiment for you.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 January 07 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I know that he was married to Kate Hore but when and where I dont know, sometime around 1926 when the eldest daughter was born I should think.
I also dont know if he had another name  but I think he died when my eldest daughter was two and she was born in 1969.  I will try and dig out that photo of him in uniform and come to think of it I have his dog tags from the war somewhere.
The hop picking was their annual holiday, never missed a year and always in the same farm in Kent.
Once again thanks for all your ideas and I will search for their marriage certificate I think.

Chellin2  ;D
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood
Botteriel

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 January 07 09:43 GMT (UK) »
I have checked deaths 1970 - 1973 inclusive.  None for an Albert in Lambeth.  One in Hackney and a few in Kent seemed the most relevant, but I didn't note them cos I was looking for Lambeth!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 January 07 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Marriage Albert J Horton to Catherine Hoare in April/MAy/Jun quarter 1926, Lambeth reg area, ref no 1d 730
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 January 07 10:04 GMT (UK) »
In which case, this birth looks likely

Birth

Albert James HORTON

Lambeth  Vol 1d  Page 393

1903 Dec q 

;)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 January 07 10:08 GMT (UK) »
and this death:

Oct/Nov/Dec 1972 Albert James Horton, born 21 Oct 1903, death registered in Cuckfield area, sorry havent written down ref

(only other Albert J death in years 1970-72 was born in 1918, so a bit too young)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile