Author Topic: Wexford Seamen...  (Read 3824 times)

Offline vihar2203

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wexford Seamen...
« on: Thursday 11 January 07 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
I am looking for details of 2 individuals who could be my ancestors.

1. Captain John Reigh, born about 1777. Died 1833 aged 56, buried in St Magdalen's cemetery, Maudlintown.

2. Henry Reigh, died 25 Sept 1824 aged 31 and is buried in the same grave.

With Reigh being an uncommon name it is likely that they belong to the Reighs that I am looking for.
Could anyone please tell me if there is any online resources I can get more details from about these potential ancestors ?
Many thanks for your help and best wishes to you all

Tony Quinn
Researching family names.....Quinn, Reigh, Parle, Gorman, Bristow, Stafford,O'Brien, Murphy, Quilliam and Purslow - Liverpool and Ireland-------Davies and Thompson, Wales and London

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford Seamen...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 February 07 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tony,

Reigh appears to be a rare name in Ireland. At the time of Griffith's Valuation there were only three (it might well be two as those Williams look as though they could be one person) in the whole of Ireland. They appear
in the Dublin Valuation 1848-51. As there are only the three it might be worthwhile researching them but as
a starter I'd suggest you contact the Wexford Library to see if they are able to find anything that might be
of assistance to you.

Matthew Reigh, Richmond Place,  St Georges, Dublin
William Reigh, Ballybough, Philipsburch Avenue, Clonturk, Dublin
William Reigh, Ballybough, Town Of Clonturk, Dublin

I've created a link to your Wexford ancestors...... thread so that you can check messages there.

Best Wishes,

Chris

Offline vihar2203

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 07 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher

Many thanks for your reply. I never thought of contacting them.  Do you know if the Library charge for their services ? Hopefully they will be able to help.
Many thanks again

Tony
Researching family names.....Quinn, Reigh, Parle, Gorman, Bristow, Stafford,O'Brien, Murphy, Quilliam and Purslow - Liverpool and Ireland-------Davies and Thompson, Wales and London

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 07 22:15 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware it is part of the Library service, Tony.

They sometimes waive a photocopy charge too.

Chris

Offline Letmein!

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 September 07 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony
I stopped researching my Reigh line about 3 years ago, having reached a dead-end in Ireland, and am now just starting to look at it again and for any new contacts that might be made.
My wife's line comes from the Dublin Reighs, traced back to Anthony in the 1851 Census, but does not include the Wexford Reighs. Given the rarity of the name, I am hoping that at some point they may tie up.
Her gg-grandfather was John Dooley Reigh. If you do a search on that name or J.D. Reigh (as he was known), you will find that he was quite a prominant Irish artist/illustrator/political cartoonist in his time.
I'm wondering if you have made any progress on your Reigh line beyond 1850?
Gary

Offline Sordibub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 October 07 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary

Tony seems to be gone from these boards.

I found his Reigh ancestors for him in Wexford Town some time ago. There were a couple of Reigh families there in the mid 1800's (perhaps all connected).

By the way there were also Reighs in Kilmore, South Wexford. See my website with on-line baptismal records...

www.kilmoregenealogy.com

Note also the 1901 census for the lightships stationed at Kilmore (same site). I believe the Reigh lightship man there is a brother to Tony's ancestor. By chance I also found his wife and children in Wexford Town on 1901 census (not on website).

Anyway, maybe this is a help if you are researching all instances of the name in Ireland.

Rachel
Wexford & Donegal

Offline Letmein!

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 07 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

Thank you for your information. What a wonderful site you are creating. I haven't been able to link my Dublin Reighs to it yet, but given the rarity of the name I still hope to find a match at some point. I am most interested in finding  Anthony Reigh, probably marrying in the 1840's and therefore born 1810-1825. These events may have occurred in Dublin, but eliminating Wexford would be a helpful step.

Tony is still around, and I have given the information I have on my branch.

Gary