Author Topic: Look up request: Robert Smith  (Read 533 times)

Offline Jane59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request: Robert Smith
« on: Thursday 11 January 07 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Please could someone look up Robert Smith, who was born Yeovil, in the Somerset Parish records.  In the 1841 census his age was 45 and he was living in the Chilthorne Dormer Parish.  In the 1851 census he was living in Yeovil Marsh. He was married to Jane who I think was born Mitchell.  Any details about his birth, parents, marriage would be greatly appreciated.

He had at least 9 children -William, James, Honor, Nathaniel, Eli, Levi, John, Mark and Robert.  Any details regarding Eli, aged 10 in 1841 and born in Yeovil, would also be welcomed.  In later life he appeared to add George to his name, being known as either George or Eli!  It would be good to know what he was actually christened.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request: Robert Smith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 07 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I found a marriage record  for a Robert Smith of Yeovil to Jane Mitchell
17 Nov 1823 at Thorne Coffin. On the 1851 census a Mary Mitchell is staying with Robert (birthplace Yeovil) and Jane (birthplace Marston)  and I am assuming that she was related to Jane (looks like "wifes mother" and she was shown as a widow).

On the same census Eli is shown aged 20, so birth abt 1831 ish ,birthplace Yeovil. I checked on the IGI database and there is only a member submitted record (so no guarantees it's correct) of Eli Smith, christened 29 Aug 1830 Chiltorne Domer, parents Robert Smith & Jane.

Enjoy your searching
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc