Author Topic: Thomas Harp Cheshire regiment  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Harp Cheshire regiment
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 January 07 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Terry!

Here's my understanding of an LDS FHC.

It's a Family History Centre run by the Church of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons).

They have a website that you've probably seen:
www.familysearch.org

Their main repository is in Utah.  They have millions (I think) of records on microfilm.

They have Family History Centres in various cities throughout the world.  I've been told the FHCs have indexes.  You can search through their indexes and then, if you find something that you want, you ask them to order the microfilm of the actual records from Utah.  When the microfilm comes in, they phone you, and you go to their centre to view it and print a copy.

The website has lists of the records they have on microfilm.

If you go to their website, click on the "Library" tab (at the top of the screen), then click on "Family History Centers", you can find the one nearest you.  While still in the "Library", click on "Family History Library Catalog" to see what kinds of records they have.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Terance Jonathan Payne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 January 07 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Ok now i know, er tell you what there must be some-one out there who lives by one. I am in Manchester UK.
As i said i will try the regimental historian, cant think of any-thing else at the moment but Thomas could not have just disapeared. 
Harp Oakes,Croshaw,Payne,

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 January 07 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Terry,

It looks like the Cheshire Military Museum will conduct a search for a fee:

http://www.chester.ac.uk/militarymuseum/archives.html

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

AK

« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 January 07 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Terry,

I have been in to the Military Museum in Chester very often and there is nothing more they like than to help people such as yourself.

There is a researcher with 30 years experience there on a Saturday, his name is Geoff Crump. Can pass on the telephone number if you want it. He will be able to tell you if there is any possibility of finding information on your relative.

AK

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 January 07 15:05 GMT (UK) »
AK,

Would you please PM me with the phone number, too?  My husband might like to call just in case there might be anything available on his grandfather (although we know it's highly unlikely).

Thank you!

Regards,
Josephine

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 January 07 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for perhaps widening the discussion Terry;Is this possibly the Thomas Harp who married Winifred Rogers at Chester in 1907,and is the Father of the Evelyn Harp in my Tree?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 January 07 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hey W.J nice to hear from you again where you been hiding ? up a mountain or what ??? ;D ;D.
The only info i have on this  Thomas is his medal card
Date of entry 16-8-1914. Private 8012 Harp Thomas Cheshire reg. It also says he was a POW, Prisoner Of War.
It is this  fact that intrigue's me. Apart from that it could be
Thomas son of William and Annie Ridge, brother of Annie 1891,Ethel 1892,William 1894, Harold date unknown,Minnie date unknown,Hilda date unknown,Annie ? date unknown, and Samual Date unknown,also aunty and uncles incude,John 1854,Maria 1855,Samual 1857,Thomas 1866,William 1869,James 1871,Joseph 1874 who wed Florence Ekin. :o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 January 07 16:14 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks AK, we went last year on a visit to Overliegh and called at the regimental chapel in the Cathedral, i showed Rosie ( daughter ) George Harps Name in the Roll of Honour book, i had to ask one of the curate's to move the OAK leaves and turn the page for us to see  i got a lovely photo of Rosie pointing at George's name, it was truly moving to link to the past i guess thats one reason why we take such an interest in our family history, when you meet one of your distant relitive's and shake their hand it is like bridging the past and making your ancester's life have meaning. See there i go again !!!!! :) 
Hello Terry,

I have been in to the Military Museum in Chester very often and there is nothing more they like than to help people such as yourself.

There is a researcher with 30 years experience there on a Saturday, his name is Geoff Crump. Can pass on the telephone number if you want it. He will be able to tell you if there is any possibility of finding information on your relative.

AK

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 January 07 16:22 GMT (UK) »
As someone was saying earlier,there don't seem to be many possibles in the 1901 Census.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk