Author Topic: Cards sent by family  (Read 5275 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: Cards sent by family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 January 07 09:05 GMT (UK) »
We wish it was that simple to open a relationship with her - we (me, hubby and her son)think it is more out of guilt that she won't see us.

Something to do with hubby's Mum but we don't know what

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 07 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Carol,

That's a shame. Life is just too short.

Seeing these lovely cards, I wonder if I shouldnt' be saving the photo Christmas cards I get, at least for my family members. From now on I will put them in the appropriate genealogical folder or binder, properly labeled.  :)

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Linda_J

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 January 07 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I recently realised that ordinary Christmas cards can also be a great resource. Mother hordes everything and we recently tried to persuade her to go through all the old Christmas cards and Birthday cards as well as Aniversary cards.

We found numerous notes written on the back of these, often from more distant rellies with comments like  "daughter just had twins, named etc etc".
All this has filled in some of the more recent generation of 2nd and 3rd cousins.

Linda
Dove - Maidstone Kent
Ralph - Relf - Cranbrook Kent
Cottrell - Barcombe Sussex
Ecclestone - Norfolk and Suffolk
Gooch - Norfolk
Burgess - Sussex and Hampshire
Stanton - Breconshire
Other names; French, Beale, Higgins, Measday (all Kent)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 January 07 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Linda,

Excellent suggestion. It can be so hard to fill in the more recent generations. They seem less willing to give information. Another good resource is those old address books. My mom even has the one she used for her wedding 47 years ago and we have learned some great things from it.

Genealogy gives valid reasons to be a pack rat.  ;D ;D

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 January 07 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I have one too...but the baby on the card isn't the same  baby who received it!
Hope this helps ~ Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 January 07 23:50 GMT (UK) »
They are lovely Treetotal

I have another one but it is an embroidered one that hubby's Dad sent his parents when he first went off to fight.

My Dad also has a full album of them from some member of the family and I love looking at them.

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol...They are lovely keepsakes aren't they! :)...and the messages on the back of them give good clues of rellies!
It looks like William has nicked Tina Turner's wig for his photo opportunity!

Caroltoo
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 19:45 GMT (UK) »

I agree wholeheartedly about cards...especially when you can see things like their handwriting......

This is a card sent by my Grandma Rosa to her Brother and Sister, taken in 1915.....the little lad is my Uncle Leonard, the youngest (and last of five sons)...... ;D.....She was 35 years old at the time....

Michael72.
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline Majge

• RootsChat Extra
  • "This is neverending! ;o)!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I love these 'old cards' its just a shame some of them remain unnamed, it breaks my heart when I see the ones on ebay & theres no inscription on the back.
A distant cousin of my husband sent us one, we believe it may be my husbands Great Grandmother & a couple of his Great Aunts though nothing is conclusive.[
 Though I will agree with the others regarding contact, my husbands father died when my husband was only 4years old. we weren't aware that there was a younger brother of his late father. When I question my mother in law she confirmed that there was but none of the family had had any contact with him. She had no real explaination as to why. So after a chat with hubby, we looked up the electrol role & thankfully there were only 3 people with that name & wrote to all 3, had a lovely letter from one to say sorry he wasn't him, then a day later had an email to say that we'd found them! & we've been in contact ever since & they have welcomed us with open arms~the despute was basically a naff sibling one.
So I say go for it you've got nothing to lose but alot to gain  ;D

goodluck
Maria
Baker,Banfield,Bradick,Broom,
Canniford,Cook,Eglon,Fowler,Guppy,
Harrison,Hockey,Hodder,Knight,Notley,Pilton,
Rendell,Rowe,Shepherd,Shire,Taylor,Trask
&
many more!
Mainly from Dorset,Somerset & Devon