Author Topic: Anyone know Binfield well??  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Tease

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone know Binfield well??
« on: Saturday 13 January 07 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon!

I am planning a trip to Binfield tomorrow, to try and track down some of the places that some ancestors lived, and also to have a mooch round the graveyard, to see if anything familiar pops up.

I have looked through the census's for my GGG Grandmother, and have her listed as living at a few places.

Red Rose, Binfield
Woodhouse Street, Binfield
Sunninghill Road, Winkfield
Victoria Terrace, Binfield

Now, I have managed to find these places on a map, but I am a little confused. In the census's it lists Red Rose down, and a few households down, it lists Woodhouse Street, as if they are next to each other. They look to be quite a way apart now, but can I assume that they are still the same roads as listed now, its just that some new roads have been built since??

Also, another generation forward lived in Victoria Terrace, sometimes listed as just The Terrace. Anyone know where I may be able to find this??

I would really appreciate any help, and if anyone would like me to look for anything for them while I am there, please just shout!

Many Thanks,

Louise

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know Binfield well??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 07 16:48 GMT (UK) »

I think that when you get there, you'll be able to tell from house styles which roads have been added in which periods.
As for Victoria Terrace, then best you might do is search for preceeding/following addresses.

I used to used binfield/winkfield as a rat-run to work, several years ago; I'm pretty sure that pre-1900 or so, distance between housing could have easily been anywhere between  ten feet or 1 mile.

A call to the local history centre (Castle Hill, Reading?) may also elicit a response as to the location of Victoria Terrace.

Regards,
Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 07 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise,

I'm afraid I can't help you with the geography of Binfield, but I have some of my family from there and just wondered what names you were researching.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 07 20:34 GMT (UK) »
The following is based on my knowledge from before the major developments of the last ten years or so when Binfield has been swallowed up by the extensions to Bracknell.

The Terrace is (was) the main road which runs north south through the village forming the cross roads with Forest Road in the middle.  I think the Victoria part of the name was associated with a pub.

Red Rose is the next road on the left going east along Forest Road but has two arms at its northern end.

I am not sure about Wood house Street but I think it is on the right a bit further along Forest Road

Sunninghill Road Winkfield I have a real problem with, because a lot of what used to be called Winkfield is now regarded as part of Ascot.  My guess if you haven't found it on a map is it is either part of the A329 now called London Road or it was the part of the A330 which runs through Ascot racecourse now called Winkfield Road.

David 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ClareHi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Loiuse,

I know you posted this ages ago, but I've only just seen it. I know Binfield quite well..and have quite a bit of local info.
Did you find what you were looking for?

Clare