Author Topic: Moores of Wilts. & West Ham  (Read 981 times)

Offline arty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moores of Wilts. & West Ham
« on: Sunday 14 January 07 02:51 GMT (UK) »
My first foray on the Forum ! An absolute newbie ! Have been reading all your postings and hoping someone out there can help!
Have been searching for months for birth and parental info of my g-grandfather Joseph Moore,born Wilts (don't know exactly where) about 1823-1827. Census records show that he spent most of his life in Islington (Middx),worked as a labourer as did his father and married for the second time,a Sarah (could be Chadwick) on May 28 1871. Sarah was left with 6 or 7 children when Joseph died in West Ham in 1898. The 1861 census shows a Joseph in the Royal Navy and as he wasn't with his wife and children then, I'm wondering if it is 'him'? The RN would have all his details for sure but with my inexperience (and age!!), I am finding it hard to navigate the RN records. Joe's marriage certificate shows that his father was a 'John' but nowhere in Wilts can I find a Joseph born with a father named John,consequently,I cannot trace the family back any further. Can somebody help a first timer ?I dare say this could be the first of many 'brickwalls' !!
Rootschat could be my saviour !
             Many thanks in anticipation,
                           Arty ::)
Moore.  Wilts, Islington
Burles.  Woolwich, East End
Canham.  East End
Norton  Devon, East End
Albra  East End

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Moores of Wilts. & West Ham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 07 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arty  ;D  Welcome to Rootschat   :D

Have found a Joseph Moore in 1841 Warminster Wiltshire which might be the Joseph in 1861 in the RN but parents are Richard and Elizabeth.

Do you know where he was living in 1841? Wiltshire or Islington?

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 07 11:09 GMT (UK) »
The Joseph Moore I can find on the 1891 census in West Ham born Wiltshire aged 61, a lobby man in a gas works, is married to a Mary? Do you mean his second marriage in 1871 was to Mary Norton and his first was to Sarah possibly Sarah Chadwick in 1850 - both marriages taking place in Islington?
1881 the family were in Islington.
1871 census Joseph was with his brother-in-law John Morris who married Joseph's sister Ann Moore in Islington in 1839 (Ann born Wiltshire circa 1819 on the 1871 census). On the 1861 census Ann gives Warminster as her place of birth.

Regards

Valda

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 07 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Moore Head of Household in Islington in 1861 born circa 1827 Warminster has 4 children with her all born Islington, starting with John Edward aged 14, Mary Jane 12, Thomas William 9 and Joseph Henry 2 - the child Henry on the 1871 census.

1851 census and the family is in Islington with husband Joseph aged 26 a railway labourer. The 1861 census does have a Joseph born Warminster a stoker in the Royal Navy, so if that is him he was only a relatively short time in the navy.

Ann Morris, Joseph's sister gives Warminster as her birthplace on the 1851 census (but then so do at least 20 other Moores). Joseph is not with his sister on the 1841 census.

There is this baptism in Warminster

MOORE, Joseph   
Christening Date:5 Jan 1825 St Lawrence Warminster, Wiltshire
Father:   Thomas MOORE
Mother:   Sarah

as well as one in 1831 to parents Richard and Elizabeth. No baptism for an Ann.
The baptisms just tend to indicate there are other potential Joseph Moores born in Warminster.

I can't find any Chadwicks either in Warminster in 1841 or born Warminster in 1851. I can find a Sarah Langley of about the right age though in 1841 in Warminster.

JOSEPH MOORE 
SARAH LANGLEY 
Marriage:  24 NOV 1845   Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London

Marriages Dec 1845   
LANGLEY  Sarah     Shoreditch  2 462   
MOORE  Joseph     Shoreditch  2 462

Marriages Dec 1839 
MOORE  Ann     Islington  3 136   
MORRIS  John     Islington  3 136

Regards

Valda