Author Topic: Stage People and the Census  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Stage People and the Census
« on: Sunday 14 January 07 09:54 GMT (UK) »

Could anyone tell me if the census recorded individuals at the theatre they were playing in?  How did they go on if they were en route to another venue??

Thanks for your help

Barbara                      8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stage People and the Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 07 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

The census recorded all those who spent the night of the census in a particular household, including lodgings or hotels.

The problem with actors tends to be whether they gave their real or stage names!

Those is transit should still be recorded.  I have seen some establishments where they gave scant, or no, detail for their overnight guests however.  Some just say "male, approx 40" with no name or place of birth.

Is there anyone in particular that you are looking for?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 07 10:30 GMT (UK) »

Hi Arranroots

It's the same old same old - Ernest Onley.   He drives me nuts.   He joined up with a theatre group (unknown) at a very young age, where he met up with and eventually married Nellie Kitchen who was also on the stage - but I (still) can't find him anywhere.   I'm practically grasping at straws here    :D

Thanks for your help

Barbara

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 07 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

The census recorded all those who spent the night of the census in a particular household, including lodgings or hotels.

The problem with actors tends to be whether they gave their real or stage names!

Those is transit should still be recorded.  I have seen some establishments where they gave scant, or no, detail for their overnight guests however.  Some just say "male, approx 40" with no name or place of birth.

Is there anyone in particular that you are looking for?

I think there's a small problem in what you say, Arranroots. Would all stage people have stayed in lodgings?
Did quite a large number of travelling performers not stay in caravans ... either drawn by a horse or towed
by a motor vehicle?

Christopher 

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 07 08:19 BST (UK) »
I am sorry you have a problem Christopher!  ;) ;D

I have seen tents and caravans recorded, but didn't include every last possibility in my reply to Barbara - I hope she understood my meaning, though!

Looking at Barbara's previous threads, it seems Ernest was last sighted in the London area, so maybe a lodging house or hotel is more likely, but as always, leave no stone unturned!

Not sure whether he has been found yet or not, but the best of RC minds have addressed the problem, judging from the other threads about him!

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 07 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arranroots,
Has a check been done on the out of work actors on park benches  ???

Christopher

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 07 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arranroots,
Has a check been done on the out of work actors on park benches  ???

Christopher

Now there's a question!

I guess we would have to ask the enumerators, and I see a small issue with that...

;) ;D

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 June 07 14:06 BST (UK) »

Hi Arranroots and Christopher

Park benches ................... hmmmmmmmm, I did ask about vagrants on street corners and it seems even they were counted .. . so no luck there!!

Ernest is still missing and I'm guessing he will remain one of life's mysteries, but one can hope ..     ;D ;D ;D
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Rachel Bowen

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working due to inactivity
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello, I don't know anything about your 'search', but this might be useful.
My Great Grandmother kept a boarding house for stage people in Liverpool. We have photographs of some of her boarders who became friends of the family, being photographed at my father's and his twin's christening.
I know their names, Dickie and Poppy Douglas. I therefore searched censuses 1901 and before, and found them in various parts of the country.
So do a general search, not putting down any place or country.
I know that is easier with people who had more unusual names - Jones etc is too difficult.
Sincerely, Rachel Bowen