Author Topic: Alderbrook House?  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Alderbrook House?
« on: Sunday 14 January 07 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find if there was an Alderbrook House around Sunningdale area. The name may not be quite right. I have been given information that James Cox or his son Henry Reginald Cox worked there.

James is listed on the 1891 census living at Fern Place occupation being Engine ****(unreadble) Electric Light then in 1901 he is shown living Bagshot Road and his occupation this time is Electrical Engine Driver.

However on his son's birth certificate in 1888 his occuapation is Park Labourer and on the sons marriage certificate in 1915 James' occupation is Gardener.

This leads me to believe that James may have worked for a big house that where one of the first to have electricity put in in the 1880's and although James worked in the grounds he was also in charge of keeping the engine running for the lights in the house.

I have tried various search engines for Alderbrook House and although I can find Alderbrook Road in Berkshire I don't seem to be a ble to find a house by this name.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline ELLinSpain

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alderbrook House?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 07 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have found that the local council (someone had to pay rates!) are pretty helpful or a good Librarian in the local library

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alderbrook House?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 07 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Thats a thought. I have a friend who is a Librarian, maybe she can help with her contacts.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe