Author Topic: SANSBURY  (Read 26315 times)

Offline Prana35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SANSBURY
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Dave apologies for the bitty nature of the info but I am trawling through loads of old papers etc and trying to get them organised. I have located an old postcard from the IOM, and would suggest from the pictures of the vehicles on the card it is probably mid-1960's.

I do not know who it is from or to whom it was sent, it just has the following info on the back (which is poorly written so I will try my best )

E.N Sansbury     Ballakneale Ave, Port Erin
R.D Sansbury     3 Victoria Road, Castletown
R.H Sansbury     23 Seafield Ave, ST Mary Port

The writer has then put a note at the bottom stating that he/she obtained the details from the telephone directory whilst on holiday in the IOM.

Dont know if it ties in with anything you already have !

If you want I can scan the postcard in and e-mail it to you.

Regards

SS

Offline RichardJarman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 June 07 22:33 BST (UK) »
I notice it's been a few years since these postings but I have some information.

I am Lilian Corteen's grandson, Richard.

Lilian is Harry Corteen's daughter. Harry Corteen was married to Margaret Jane SANSBURY.

~~~~~~~~

_Henry CORTEEN ___
   _Harry CORTEEN __________|
  |                         |_Eliza HAMPTON ___
  |
  |--Lilian CORTEEN
  |
  |                          _Thomas SANSBURY _
  |_Margaret Jane SANSBURY _|
                            |_Jane MOORE ______

Offline RichardJarman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 June 07 22:40 BST (UK) »
I notice it's been a few years since these postings but I have some information.

I am Lilian Corteen's grandson, Richard.

Lilian is Margaret Jane SANSBURY's daughter. Harry Corteen was married to Margaret Jane SANSBURY.

~~~~~~~~

_Henry CORTEEN ___
   _Harry CORTEEN __________|
  |                         |_Eliza HAMPTON ___
  |
  |--Lilian CORTEEN
  |
  |                          _Thomas SANSBURY _
  |_Margaret Jane SANSBURY _|
                            |_Jane MOORE ______

Offline jojo s

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 June 08 21:04 BST (UK) »
hiya my name is jo sansbury my grandad was called william and was from douglas

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 12:15 BST (UK) »
Re jojo - with no dates difficult to help but try http://iomfhs.im look under research and try to find baptism of Wm

Re earlier Sansbury query - Philip Sansbury has a good writeup at http://www.manxnotebook.com/mquart/mq12b88.htm - 2nd s/o of Thomas who was I think son of John 'daddy' Sansbury + jane Crebbin - fairly easy to trace back the Rushen Sansburys

The name Sansbury (samsburie etc is early records) is given by Moore as:
SANSBURY, formerly SAMSBURY. Possibly derived from the village of SAMLESBURY in Lancashire. The SAMSBURYS were owners of Ronaldsway before the Christians.

SAUNESBURY [1511], SANSBERIE [1521], SAMSBURY [1556] SANSBURE [1654], SANSBURY [1657].

The name is much less common than formerly.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SANSBURY Crebbin
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Frances. Hope you might help! I have seen the obit of Philip Sansbury in the Bootle Herald Oct 26 1912 and note that a Mr. and Mrs. Humphries are amongst the floral tribute givers. My interest is in finding a link between the Humphries family ( my mother's side) and a Crebbin who was a master on the IoM ferries about 1945. My mother went to stay for a holiday in Port St. Mary/Port Erin about 1946. She stayed with some relative who had a cafe/tearoom there. Thanks Alan Williams
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:53 GMT (UK) »
in 1968 telephone directory only one Humphrey family - H Humphrey, Laureston, Bay view road Port St Mary - in my database of manx places (derived from various sources) I have Port St Mary, Bay View Road, Laureston Cafe+ restaurant - in my near current tel directory I have its post code as IM9 5AQ but can't find it in classified section (PSM has declined as a tourist resort) -
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Crebbin / Humphrey connection
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 February 09 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Dear Frances. Thanks for your rapid reply and the useful info. I looked in the directory for 1968 in Ancestry and also found E Humphreys, Beachmount, South Prom, Port Erin so there were Humphrey/s in the area then. I haven't been able to find any back in the 1940s except a Humphreys and Ridley with a cafe in Port Soderick in 1950. But I will continue to try and will let you know if I get anything. My mother was Elsie Williams nee Paul. Thanks again Alan Williams
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline DGSansbury

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 June 09 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, i know this topic is a few years old but i would thought i'd reply anyway.
In one of the comments you said R.HSansbury 23Seafield Ave Port St mary.
R.HSansbury was my father. I am David Sansbury and i live on the Isle Of Man, most of the Sansbury's i know live in the south of the island. I have quite a few relations that still go by the name of Sansbury. I used to live in 23 seafield ave as a young boy, i moved over from Fleetwood when i was 5 1967. My mother was orginally a Cranston but now goes by the name of Joan Sansbury.
If you would like anymore information, i will try and get back too you a.s.a.p

David Sansbury
Isle of Man