Author Topic: Killed in Somme France  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Brains

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Killed in Somme France
« on: Tuesday 16 January 07 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a Daniel Broadhurst who was born in  Crescent Mottram cheshire England. 3rd May in 1878. I wrote to Commonweath War Graves Commission and received this information back, Casualty Driver Daniel Broadhurst 24403O
211th Bde Royal Field Artillery.  He died 23rd august 1918 Commemorated at Bagneux British Cemetary Gezaincourt SOMME FRANCE, grave reference  Plot IV. Row G. Grave 10 Regiment no D/4674 he was the son of James and Ellen Broadhurst, husband of Florence charlotte Leah(formerly Broadhurst) of hospital Lodge Mottram Old rd Hyde Cheshire Enlgand.
This is all the information they have on Daniel. I just wondered if  anything else on him, I would appreciate very much.  yhankyou.

anyone could help me find any more info Service Records, if he had medals, or even a photo of his grave?could help me at all find
Barbara Mcvey(Leah)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Killed in Somme France
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barbara

Not sure if you kow that all the details of the CWGC are online. You can search here
http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

and your man is here
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=57042
Cemetery details
http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=5700&mode=1
and there is a picture of the cemetery

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara, and welcome to rootschat,

For information with regards to Daniel receiving medals go to www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and look under 1st world war campaign medals. Type in his name, regiment and army number in the search criteria bars and once done press the search button. You will then see a page open up with the same details (but in different format) scroll to the bottom of the page and it will tell you how, for £3.50, you can purchase and download an image of Daniel's medal card (from the medal card index -MCI-) which in turn will tell of any medals that he may have been awarded. Once you have done this come back to the board if you have trouble understanding the information given on the image and I am sure someone will be able to help you with it.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching WWI soldiers from my area and sometimes am able to find quite a bit of detail in local newspapers.
You have date of death but make sure to search for quite a while after that date as often families didn't receive news until much later. Some papers had columns with news of soldiers and often photos were put in the paper.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!