Author Topic: What part of Ireland did they come from?  (Read 2900 times)

Offline djcrtoye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What part of Ireland did they come from?
« on: Wednesday 17 January 07 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello wonder if any one can help in locating which county in Ireland my ggggranda William Toy came from.  He was born abt 1811 and certainly was in Scotland for the 1841 census.  Also my other ggggranda James Crossan he also was born in abt 1811 and he came to Scotland before 1847 because that was when my gggran was born here.  I know that they came over during or prior the Great Famine but I would like to know where they were born and their parents names.
Toy lanarkshire
Quinn ireland/lanarkshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: What part of Ireland did they come from?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello djcrtoye,

Your ancestors probably lived in either Co. Derry or Donegal ... possibly Co. Tyrone. During the period of Griffith's Valuation 1848-64 the surname Crossan (and McCrossan) was much more common than Toy. . The name James was common to each version of the name.

A look at Family Search may reveal more information.

Best wishes,

Chris 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Any more details on William Toy? Wife's name, names of children? religion? It would be very difficult to locate William Toy in Ireland with just a rough year of birth. I have 3 William Toy/Toyes in County Londonderry that fit that description!
Was William married in Scotland? If so, does marriage certificate give father's name, etc. Have you found a record of his death in Scotland? Might be more information there.
Also, any other Toys living near William in Scotland? Quite often relatives would have settled near each other after leaving Ireland.
More details you can post the better chance of finding something in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline djcrtoye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 14:42 GMT (UK) »
William Toye married Ann Samuel in abt 1842 in Airdrie, Scotalnd, they had two boys William born abt 1843 and my gggranda Neil born abt 1845 both in Airdrie.  At that time in Scotland there was no registration, but you had to register as sort with your local Church of Scotland kirk many Roman Catholics didn't do that.  I suspect William died between 1851-1861, the reason for that is he appears on the 1851 census but not on the 1861.  Also compulsary registration didn't start until 1855 in Scotland so if he died prior to 1855 there would be no record. Aftfer that date there are too many William Toy's to look at and it be guess.  He only appears on my gggranda marriage certificate as being deceased thats in 1866.  While doing some research in Oct/Nov I saw that there were people living next door or nearby with the same name, but can't remember their names.  Hope this helps to narrow it down.  Thanks
Toy lanarkshire
Quinn ireland/lanarkshire