Author Topic: Edward DAVIES born circ 1792  (Read 6605 times)

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
Edward DAVIES born circ 1792
« on: Wednesday 17 January 07 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Can any one please help me, I'm rather stuck on Edward Davies circ 1792 and his family.
Edward was married to Elizabeth, [Surename not known]
IN 1829/31 they were shop keepers in Llandrinio on the Shropshire, Montgomery borders,two sons were born there,Edward George and Thomas.
 I believe they were probably millers in Worthen in1841,and maybe by this time had another son William. This is the sum total of my back ground to Edward and his wife Elizabeth 1791, I believe she was born in Worthen. They may have had connections also with Brockton Mill, Worthen. [there were three mills at Worthen at one time on the same stream]  Any help would greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Eric.

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Davies, born circ 1792
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Here's a possibility in 1841 in Worthen

HO107/909/18 Folio 26 page 6
Walton Mill
Edward Davies 50 Miller   Y
Elizabeth   "      50           N
Edward      "     11           N
Thomas      "     10           N
William       "       9            Y
Hannah Booth   15 F.S.    Y
Richard Morris    20 Miller J. ? Y
William Pursell  20    "            N
Robert Gittins 15     "             N

Isobel

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 January 07 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Isobel
Many thanks for the info on Edward Davies family, it looks as if you have the correct family. In the 1851 census I had the sons Edward George and brother Thomas, resideing with thier uncle Aeron Davies and working in his Grociery and Drapers shop at Brocton, Worthen. I still fail to find Edward Davies 1792 and his wife Elizabeth in the 1851 Census, can you please help? Where were Edward 1792 and his wife Elizabeth born? The sons Edward George Davies went on to become a Grocier and Draper in Churchstoke, Thomas I believe became a shop keeper and Postmaster in the village they were born, Llandrinio.
Once more very many thanks, any info on the family, pre or post the period of the above, would be extremely welcome, Kind regards, Eric.

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 January 07 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry Eric. I can't find any of them anywhere in 1851. Not even the family that you say you've got - Aaron, Edward George and Thomas. Do you have a reference for that? Maybe I could see that and it would give some more clues.

I saw in the IGI that both Edward and Thomas had the middle name George. I wonder whether Elizabeth's maiden name was George? A possibility I suppose.

Isobel

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
Re: Edward DAVIES born circ 1792
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 January 07 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Isobel
I may not have been too clear in my reply,Edward George Davies 1829 and Thomas Davies 1831 were there full names of the sons. In the 1851 Census the reference was HO107/2498/344/28. I have there baptism dates but no Cirtificates Edward George Davies was baptised August 9th1829 and Thomas Davies on February 20th. 1831, Both in Llandrinio, it sometimes comes under Shropshire, some times Montgomeryshire.
Very many thanks for your help. Eric

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 January 07 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric.

Any good,?

Shropshire: Worthen - Parish Registers, Hereford Diocese

27 Jan 1791 Edward, s. of John & Elizabeth Davies bap.
05 Aug 1804 Richard, s. of Edward & Elizabeth Davies--Weston.

Happy hunting.
Pete. :) :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Eric

In the IGI, under batch number C090601 it lists EDWARD GEORGE DAVIES, christened 9 Aug 1829, RICHARD PRAYNOLD DAVIES, christened 22 Jan 1826 and THOMAS GEORGE DAVIES, christened 20 Feb 1831, all in Llandrinio with parents Edward and Elizabeth Davies. Of course, I don't know whether they're all the same Edward and Elizabeth Davies, but the christening dates of Edward and Thomas match yours. That's where I saw the repeated George. Maybe Richard died? If it is the same family, I wonder where Praynold came from. That sounds like a surname.

Next door to Aaron in 1851 is a possible Elizabeth

Elizabeth Davies  Head Widow 60 Annuitant  Salop, Kinnerley (I think)
Ann Jones            Servt      13  House servant  Mont, Forden?

However, in the 1841 census Elizabeth was put down as a "NO" for being born in Shropshire.

Isobel

Offline eric

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thank you for any help
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 07 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Pete
Isobel
I:m not quite sure  how to reply, both of your valuable replies have come through together. Very many thanks.
 Pete's reply maybe taking me back another generation,if we could find Aeron Davies born/baptised in circ 1789 with same parents to match up with Edward Davies 27/1/1791 and Richard Davies 5/8/1804 on the Parish register it would be just great. Many thanks.
Isobels reply looks interesting, dates seem to marry up, we have Richard Praynold Davies 22/1/1826 to find.
Elizabeth Davies 60 Widow [Kinnerley] I have her born Worthen,are the two villages close by? I do not have a record of husband Edwards death , it all becomess so puzzeling at times. Very many thanks to both of you. Eric

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 07 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Eric

Further to Pete's note, the IGI lists the Edward Davies, christened  on 27 Jan 1791 as being the child of John Davies and Elizabeth PHILPOT. (This is from a record submitted by a member rather than copied from the register so isn't always as reliable but it's something!)

There's also the listing from the baptism record which just lists the mother as Elizabeth. Searching in the same batch number (P015631)with the parents of John and Elizabeth gives
Anne - christened 3 June 1797
Richard - christened 12 Oct 1785
Martha - christened 12 Feb 1789

No Aaron though! Just some more names to play with and befuddle your brain!

Isobel