Author Topic: Welsh Not,  (Read 5955 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Not,
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Its something I've often thought about.

on my fathers side, my ancestors, according to the census', could only speak Welsh.

4 generations later, of the 25 cousins I still keep in touch with, my brother and I are the only ones who can speak Welsh.

On another note, my parents were born in the early 1940s. Their parents (my grandparents), naturally wanted to give their children Welsh names. The registrar wouldn't allow it - so they were all given English names. Thankfully things had changed again by the time I was born.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Taffy Lee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Upon joining the Army during WW2, my wife's Great Uncle Iorwerth was forced to change his name to Edward (the English equivalent)....

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 07 21:52 GMT (UK) »
My Grancha was put in a corner with a dunce's hat on his head if he dared to speak his own langauge, that was in the early 1900's, when I was growing up he would not speak welsh in my company as he did not wish me to suffer the same fate.
Regards Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.