Author Topic: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919  (Read 93393 times)

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick and the Great War 1914-1919
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 21 June 09 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi sabu1
when you recieve the pictures you get all the details of how they died etc, below each one.
Sorry no William J Whillans in there. There are a few men not in the book that still took part in the war. [ One of them being my own grandfather ]. I can only think the reason for this is that the book was compiled quite quickly after the war and all details hadn't been gathered or maybe the families had to inform the authors and either didn't know or some other reason.
bougie
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.
Moore,Ewes Dumfriesshire;

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 28 June 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Bougie,

Are my Rae brother's (gt grandmother's brothers) mentioned by any chance .... Robert, Walter and William. 

Also and Bogles hiding in there?

Thanks

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 28 June 09 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Thirsty
There are 5 Rae s .
James son of Thomas, 2 Elm Grove
William son of James [ tailor ] 29 High Street
Walter J son of Walter, Buenos Ayres
Robert son of Mrs Rae 14 Gladstone St
Walter son of Mrs Rae 10 High Street
Don't know if amy of these are brothers . Maybe the bottom 2 if their mother changed address during the war. Also sometimes the mothers name is mentioned and sometimes the father. Sometimes both. This doesn't seem to mean that the father and mother weren't both alive during that time.
Let me know which, if any you want.
Sorry no Bogle s.
bougie
ps I can send them all if you want and you can take a look.
Pm your email address
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 28 June 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
Sent email off to you Thirsty
bougie

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 29 June 09 07:22 BST (UK) »
Fantastic! Thanks Bougie

Offline aricandec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 23 August 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hang on to that book!  A very battered one sold yesterday for nearly £140 !!
Brown - Galashiels; Cochrane - Galashiels and Kelso; Haddon - Selkirk and Peebles; Goodfellow, Laing, Scott, White - Hawick; Saunders - Plymouth and London; Hingston, Lindon, Sedgwick - Devon; Cruickshank,  Scott - Moray; Bruce - Alford, Aberdeenshire; Murray - Edinburgh, Lasswade; Alexander - Falkirk and Northumberland; Snowdon - Rothbury and Co.Durham; Hall - Northumberland and Co.Durham; Cook - Co.Durham; Hobson and Falshaw - Leeds and North Yorkshire;

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 23 August 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi aricandec
Was it same book. Would never give mine up as it was my grandfathers and it contains family members. Just of interest, where did it sell about? Was it this country ?
bougie

Offline aricandec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, same book, very dilapidated state, in the local auction room in Hawick.  I also have relations in it but had to use the local library's copy to get the info.  Nice as it has photos too of some of the deceased.

I do have a copy of the HMSO: Soldiers died in the Great War 1914-1919, Part 30 - The King's Own Scottish Borderers.  Not so easy to use as it is arranged by Battalion and covers the whole lot which might be useful to anyone who is sure their ancestor was in the KOSB when he died.
Enid
Brown - Galashiels; Cochrane - Galashiels and Kelso; Haddon - Selkirk and Peebles; Goodfellow, Laing, Scott, White - Hawick; Saunders - Plymouth and London; Hingston, Lindon, Sedgwick - Devon; Cruickshank,  Scott - Moray; Bruce - Alford, Aberdeenshire; Murray - Edinburgh, Lasswade; Alexander - Falkirk and Northumberland; Snowdon - Rothbury and Co.Durham; Hall - Northumberland and Co.Durham; Cook - Co.Durham; Hobson and Falshaw - Leeds and North Yorkshire;

Offline Sabu1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 24 August 09 08:13 BST (UK) »
My great uncle Elliot Charters was in the KOSB (7th/8th Bn) when he died on 27th May 1918.  We've just come back from a trip to France where we visited his grave.  We also visited the Wellington Caves in Arras where up to 20,000 troops were positioned before the Battle and with the help of a very helpful curator managed to discover that my great uncle was indeed amongst those in the caves.  But we have no idea how or where he died.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated.