Author Topic: Argyll Arms and Rockburn Cottage  (Read 5084 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll Arms and Rockburn Cottage
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 January 07 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Did John and your family remain in Argyllshire? I see a death there in 1915 for a John Purdie, birth year is 1848.  :)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 January 07 22:39 GMT (UK) »

Hi Hume 24, Some success!!!
                    There were four possibilities on the 1851 census and , of course it was the fourth one I looked at that was the correct one - always the way.
                      Alexander Purdie 1820. John Purdie aged 2  and wife and mother, Mary were visitors in the household of Mary`s brother William Morrison, a stationer in Gorbals, Glasgow on census night.
                      William as head of the household has listed his little sister, Mary , as Morrison not Purdie but I`m sure that it is Mary. On the 1851 census for Inverary, Alexander is mentioned by his mother and a note is made that he is a " steward in a ship ".
                        Now, I know that Alexander , the steward and later proprietor of the Argyll Arms died in 1854. I still don`t know what happened to Mary , but will keep searching
                         Thanks again for your interest. John Purdie lived and worked in Glasgow , so I expect he would have died there , but who knows, Regards, Jean
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 January 07 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Well done on finding them.  :D Strange that William notes his sister as Morrison still but I suppose these things do happen!

There's 4 matches showing for a JOHN PURDIE with his age range dying in Lanarkshire. Not sure what would single him out of them. I wish he had a middle name.  :P

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 00:31 GMT (UK) »

Hi Hume24, I found John Purdie`s death registration.
                     He died 6 April, 1921- still living with his brother Alexander in Glasgow.
                     Mary remains a mystery!
                     If she died between 1851 census and 1855 - I may never find her.
                        Thanks for your interest, Jean
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig