Author Topic: Royal Enniskillin Fusiliers - Pte Charles Taylor  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Maeabbie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Enniskillin Fusiliers - Pte Charles Taylor
« on: Saturday 20 January 07 06:47 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather served in WWI and WWII - I'm trying to find any information on him - Date of Birth - did they give family contacts when they joined up?

Location possibly around Belfast area but not sure. ???

Maeabbie
Smart,Smith,Coy,Parkes,Walker,Dunmore,Pykett,Page,Russell,Wright,Hopkinson,Taylor,Kennedy,Watson

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Enniskillin Fusiliers - Pte Charles Taylor
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 07 08:36 GMT (UK) »
You can find his medal index card here;
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=10&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1 It will cost you £3.50. This will tell you when he first entered the theatre of war, and his previous units, his name rank etc. You must apply to the PRO in Kew to see if his records survived as 70% of them were distroyed in ww2 by the Luftwaffe. His ww2 records should be made available to you as you are the NOK and whoever you get to search the records in Kew will point you in the right direction. As far as I know the ww2 records can take up to 6 months to get and cost about £25. The information the researcher will want to know is his full name and any other information you may have. So start with his unit, is the Inniskinning Fusiliers ( not the Enniskillens) his ww1 unit or his ww2 unit?
Tom.