Author Topic: Thomas Nelson c1910 Harrogate  (Read 2577 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas Nelson c1910 Harrogate
« on: Saturday 20 January 07 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I have done a lot of research of my own family but now I'm starting on my husband's family and have found Harrogate is a very hard place to find(regarding BMD).  I know my husband's  grandparents on his paternal side were Thomas and Doris Nelson, and his father was Terence Nelson born in Harrogate in 1934 and died in 1982,  I reckon his grand parents must have been born around 1910 era and they had 9 children that is all I know, so any info would be brilliant.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Nelson c1910 Harrogate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 January 07 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that you look for the marriage of Thomas and Doris, which will show their ages (not always accurate!) and work back from that.  Was Terence their first child?  If not, try to find the first one and that will give you an idea of when to look for the marriage.

The birth cert of Terence will show Doris's maiden name.

Happy hunting,

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 January 07 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan

Hubby has informed me that his dad although known as Terry was actually Thomas Terry, I suppose the Thomas part is after his Dad Thomas snr.  I know Terry's older sister by one year was Lena, He would have been born around 1934, most of his siblings have died unfortunately.

Yours Julie

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 07 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thomas T Nelson
birth
9a 133 Knarsborough Jul qu 1934 mmn Butters
death 5/6/1935 ap birth
Oct qu 1982 Claro v2 p1986

Marriage
Dorothy Butters 1932 Oct qu Knarsborough 9a 213
Thomas A Nelson

Birth
Dorothy Butters sept qu 1913 Knarsborough mmn Lince 9a 184

theres a Thomas A Nelson born in Sheffield Sept 1910 9a 568 but wouldnt like to make a guess at him being the right one
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 January 07 16:04 GMT (UK) »
HI Isobel

Many thanks for your help, it was very kind of you.

Yours Julie

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 January 07 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Birth
Selina R Nelson  mmn Butters Jan qu 1933 Knarsborough 9a 147
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 January 07 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Heres a strange one
Robert I Nelson 1935 Ap qu 4a 159 West Ham  mmn Butters

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 January 07 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Shirley 1936 ap qu 9a 156 Knarsborough mmn Butters

Raymond F Nelson 1940 Jul qu 9a 357 Knarsborough mmn Butters

now you can eliminate Robert I as theres also a Sonia J born in Ilford mmn Butters same qu as Raymond F

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 January 07 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isobel

I've told hubby what you've found.  One of his Dad's brothers was actually called Derek Butters, perhaps born before they married.  I'd never thought about Lena being short for anything but she fits in perfectly with the date and location for Selina. There is a possiblilty of Thomas Snr being married twice, his Dad never talked much about his family or parents unfortunately  There was a sibling Roy Nelson and probably a William Nelson.

Yours Julie