Author Topic: Cutcombe Parish Register - Family BAKER  (Read 7781 times)

Offline brinda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Cutcombe Parish Register - Family BAKER
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your input. I'm going to look into the latest information you provided and see what I find. As for my access to the census records - I'm afraid I do not have a very practical way of accessing them (I know I can view them at LDS libraries and there is one about 25 minutes from me but they have fairly limited hours and I can only make it out there once in a while).
Oh and by the way, thanks for explaining the marriage by license verses banns to me - I didn't understand the difference at all before. I'm sort of learning as I go with this research...
Well thanks again for all your help, if I come across any new leads in the Cutcombe area I'll update it here. - Brinda
Smith, Ley, Lodwig, Warren, Tovey, McGaa, Copeland, Totterdale

Offline Trevor Paul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 19:26 GMT (UK) »
If you want I can ACCESS all the census records if you need any look ups to further your research.  regards Trevor
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />SOMERSET: POPE, GRIFFITHS, FLOYD,BAKER, LYDDON,QUICK,CHEEK(CHEECK)<br />DERBYSHIRE:/NOTTS; GENT,CLIFFORD,SIMMS,BINGHAM, DAYKIN, JOHNSON. FOX, HOPKINSON, COOKE, DOVE<br />SEDGLEY: HICKMAN, PALMER<br />YORKSHIRE: INMAN,BOTTOMLEY,MILNES.JESSOP

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Frances Ann Baker BAKER m JOHN WARREN at Huish Champflower in 1848
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Brinda

Back in January 2007 you were asking about the above family. You had some help from Trevor re Cutcombe, were F A was baptised.

Annie and John were my g g g grandparents. How are they connected to you?

I have their history worked out, as far as online research will allow. Are you still interested in family history?

Salute
Janelle

Offline brinda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 April 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Janelle,

Do you mean Frances Ann by "Annie"? If so, then we must be related. Frances Ann and John are my 3rd great grandparents as well (through the line descending from their son Robert Warren).

I have to admit, I haven't looked at my research in a little while so I'm a bit rusty on the details but if that is line you've researched, I'd love to hear more about what you've found - and, of course, I'm happy to share anything I've come across on my end.

So, yes, I'm definitely still interested in the family history - thank you for reaching out!

Best regards,
Brinda
Smith, Ley, Lodwig, Warren, Tovey, McGaa, Copeland, Totterdale

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 April 15 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Brinda !!

Happy Easter  :D

Oh this is wonderful. 8 years 2007 to 2015, hello cousin!!

John Warren's story...

Your Robert b 1849 married Elizabeth Dennis 1871 in Trumbull Co, Ohio. He was eldest brother of my Frank b 1852. There were 15 children in their family. Their poor mother Frances Ann died 1872 in childbirth aged 43. Very sad.

Your R leaves for Ohio at a very young age, and he most probably went to join uncle or cousin Simon.

After F A dies John takes the family from Holworthy farm, Brompton Regis, to another tenancy at Thorne St Margaret, just within Somerset, closer to his sister Elizabeth (Pring) at West Buckland and very close to their Devon cousins in Clayhidon, Churchstanton and Hemyock.

You can see John at T St M village with some of the kids in 1881 census. The 4 youngest children died before then, more sad times for John. William, Harry and George leave for Australia, and Frank marries a local girl, Caroline, in 1884. They live and work with her parents on Rewe farm, T St M.

John and the remaining children all head off for Ohio about 1887 when he is in his 50's. I don't find what happened to 6th child Thomas. My Frank is the only one of his family to NOT leave England.

You can see John's death certificate on LDS, d 1910, Huntsburg, Geauga County, Ohio. Very close by to your Robert.

John's parents were Robert Warren and Mary Moore, which you have. You can see their marriage and her family at Hemyock. What I have not found is Robert's baptism at Hemyock c 1800. R and M leave Holworthy farm to John and are at Callers farm Clayhidon for 1861 census, but sadly both die within the next year. They are buried at Huish Champflower.

Holworthy farm on Exmoor still exists, in fact the current owners have a web site with wonderful pix of the house and you should google it. It is our heritage.  :D

I can't find Robert's parents. There has to be a connection to Frances Ann's mother Jane Warren but  it is a brickwall until more of Devon's records are put online by findmypast. LDS do not have Clayhidon and a couple of other nearby parishes which I think will prove important. 

Frances Ann Baker's story...

Her mum and dad were both interesting discoveries. Have you been able to work them out?

Her parents were Thomas Baker and Jane Warren and they had the Castle Inn at Huish Champflower. They married young, both 19, in 1827, at Cutcombe. Jane's family had Kersham farm within Cutcombe parish, and Thomas was born in Luxborough, 1808.

I joined a bunch of Somerset family history yahoo groups and conversed with other Baker researchers to get past the Thomas/Jane hurdle. (Thankyou Derek!) There are lots of messages posted there about what we found about Thomas Baker.

Frances Ann was probably baptised at Cutcombe because Jane was visiting her parents when she was born, on the same page of transcription is the baptism for her cousin Charlotte Honor Quick. I wonder if the "Joan Quick" witness on Thomas and Jane's marriage might actually be John Quick, husband of Ann, Jane's eldest sister. They were usually at Hemyock, where all there other kids were born. And the other signature is William Warren, interesting.

The Bakers and the Warrens traditionally only use existing family names for their children, eg, Thomas was named for his grandfather, Frances Ann is named for 2 of Jane's sisters, who were named for other female Warrens. I have not found where Jane comes from yet, though, haha.

Frances Ann, her parents, some of her younger siblings, her Baker grandmother, her Warren grandmother, her inlaws are all burried at Huish Champflower.

I think I'll should stop here, so that you can digest what I have written.

What I will say is that Grace and William Warren at Ivy House were not Jane's family. You can see her father and her sister Honor visiting with her sister Frances on the next farm on the 1861 census. Jane is not at home for the 1851 census but her dad and her mother in law were living close at that time. I found Jane visiting another sister in south Devon that year.

Which of Ohio Robert Warren's children do you descend from?

Salute,
Janelle